He knows all the kanji that the Crabigator do - A Level 60 Post

Oh yeah, I’m finally here.

arrival

I found that essence rare, it’s what I looked for
I knew I’d get what I asked for

If I’m being honest, I don’t exactly remember how I first learned about WaniKani. I’ve been trying to have a go at this Japanese language thing for… well, it’s been quite a long while. There have been several attempts since I was 15, and I’m 25 now. And every time, I been stonewalled by the same thing: kanji.

For most of my time learning Japanese, kanji were these small logographs depicting hate and spite. They were utterly inscrutable and may as well have been invented in an alien planet located inside a parallel dimension. I knew they weren’t just random squiggles of ink, but I just couldn’t grasp them; they seemed so out of reach and out of the domain of the things I was capable of.

Then, through one manner or another, I stumbled upon this article by Tofugu, and my entire world got flipped-turned upside down, like at the end of Fight Club when it turns out Tyler Durden is the protagonist’s long-lost father. Specifically, this image:

It turned out that no, kanji were not impenetrable and there is indeed an easier way. Suddenly, kanji made sense. And I could actually have a go at them! So, needless to say, I signed up for WaniKani faster than you can say “phonetic-semantic composition”. It was the winter of my discontent, made glorious summer by the sun of the Crabigator.

So, to studyin’!

book

I was taught to fight, taught to win
I never thought I could fail

Frustration is quite an ordeal, but it’s an ordeal one must endure when learning a language. After all, the natives have decades of practice on you, what chance do you stand? And if there is one ability that is absolutely crucial to learning a language it’s being able to continue despite frustration. I learned this the hard way when I was learning English in my early teens, and so I was prepared for it. I first tried to tackle a text in Japanese when I was level… 6, perhaps? And I immediately hit a brick wall.

Yeah, turned out the early levels don’t do much. Although the old guide that used to exist before the knowledge base told me so, I wasn’t prepared for how out of my depth I would be. And that was extremely frustrating.

But… well, I gave up two times. This is my third attempt, but third time’s the charm, right?

Do you know what made me return each time? Pride. Yeah, I’m a bit ashamed to admit it, but ultimately the reason why I returned each time I gave up was because my pride wouldn’t let me sleep easy at night knowing I had this unfinished business that I was the sole reason I didn’t finish. And so I each time I returned.

But eventually, it all clicked. I was able to actually read texts in Japanese. Things were beginning to come together. It all… made sense? Somewhere around level 25, I was able to somewhat fluidly read uncomplicated texts. Even some more complex material felt like it was within reach.

Do you know what we call that in the business? Results.

That was my single greatest motivation to keep going. Results. This was, indeed, working.

You check the charts
And start to figure it out
And if it’s crowded, all the better

one-of-us

Somewhere last year, I clicked on an innocuous looking thread, following most a couple years of basically never using the forums. I didn’t think much about it at the time, but little did I know I would be
ruining improving my life.

That’s right, I clicked on the POLL thread.

Now, all sarcasm aside, it’s been lovely ever since I joined POLLfam, and my POLL bros are part of the reason I got through it this time. It’s just such a great place to be on the internet, and it’s just such a breath of fresh air with its great banter and high quality discussions.

Keep being awesome, POLLfam :sparkling_heart:

also one of y’all introduced me to etsy

200w

The happy ever after
It’s at the end of the rainbow

It’s not over yet, though. While I have used my newfound powers for good and for… other purposes, there’s still a lot to pursue. I’ve fallen a bit behind on my grammar, and even though I’m reading a lot of material a lot of it questionable, I think I could do more reading practice. I also haven’t done any listening comprehension at all.

That’s the thing, ain’t it? You never really stop learning a language. Even if you think you’ve mastered every aspect of a language, well, the language will keep changing, and you’ll have to learn those changes. It’s a kind of Sisyphean madness.

But there’s some beauty in that madness.

And now, some chill 70s beats for you to study to

Can - Future Days

Neu! - Hallogallo

David Bowie - Moss Garden

Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-maschine

Gang of Four - Love Like Anthrax

70 Likes

Congrats!

4 Likes

Congratulations on becoming 日本語上手!

15 Likes

You’re face to face
With the man who POLLed the world

I laughed and shook his hand

10 Likes

Congratulations! :crabigator: :cake:

3 Likes

Grats bro! You turned a CoelaCANT into a CoelaCAN! Now mount it on your wall in glorious victory!

11 Likes

Congratulations!

And thanks for such an entertaining level 60 post! Now I’m tempted re-watch Fight Club because I have no idea what you said about the ending… to be honest I don’t remember much of the movie since I watched it the year it was released, 1999.

4 Likes

Extra “likes” for the musical selection.

Congrats!

3 Likes

Much congrats on making it to the end station of your WK journey! :partying_face:

XqhVAA7

…and welcome onboard the next leg of the journey! :train: ^>^

enhanced-buzz-7068-1371139152-9

5 Likes

Congratulations! :tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Lol.Congrats bro. I see my future in this post :smiley:
I reset my levels twice now :smiley: Only a 2 level reset the first time, after a month’s break, and a full reset now, after a 6 month break (got hospitalized for a month and that broke my streak)

Eagerly waiting to be able to write a post such as this myself :grin:

1 Like

Congratulations! :grin:

2 Likes

I am Jack’s… father.

2 Likes

Let me try again
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
giphy
Getting to level 60 is no easy feat, but now you can use your kanji reading ability to fuel your degeneracy read lots of fun stuff! Hope you stick around on the POLL threads for a while longer!!!

5 Likes

Congrats for reaching 60! Well done for pushing through a third time, I can sympathise a little with pride being the motivator to get to the end.

2 Likes

N-no you keep being awesome! :pleading_face: also I think @saibaneko is the one to blame for Esty taking over yer life lol

I said me congratulations earlier, but lemme say I agree the POLLfam is definitely helping to give me motivation as well. And I gotta thank saiba for mentioning the manly speed racers in the POLL thread, for the power of spiteful camaraderie strikes once more!

May your perseverance bring you more knowledge to your Japanese learning journey :sparkles:

5 Likes

haha, that was such an awesome level 60 post!

with increasingly mysterious music to boot!

please have a cake milkshake and cheers to more POLLfam banter, silliness, seriousness, art and nekomimi!

the other one is for saiko although it’s questionable whether it’s deserved at all :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you all so much for the kind words! It makes reaching this point even more awesome :sparkling_heart:

I did some searching because I distinctly remember someone mentioning it after I mentioned my keychain breaking…

It was indeed @saibaneko-さん! Curse you, saiba, for making my life measurably better by allowing me to fill it with cute things irrevocably ruining my life! Many thanks May someone rearrange all the jars in your spice cabinet in an order that makes sense but you’re not entirely used to!

6 Likes

Congratulations :birthday: :cupcake: :cake:

4 Likes

Congrats! I don’t know whether to be happy that I recognized the Peter Gabriel quote or sad that I didn’t any of the others.

4 Likes