Haven't skipped one day of reviews. Still I saw this today

That seems like good advice until you just end up forgetting.

2 Likes

Another vote for the “break it up into chunks” approach.

Unless the queue contains level-critical items, I usually aim to do at least 50, hitting “wrap-up” when I reach the target. That then gives me another 10 for luck.
If I have a spare minute I sometimes do a quick-fire round, where I start the session and immediately hit wrap-up. It all adds up! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well that’s a lot… When those apprentice reviews line up with your guru/master/enlighten/burn reviews it’s gonna hurt. If you don’t mind that size of review pile then keep doing what you’re doing. If you think that’s too much then reduce the number of apprentice items you have by limiting lessons you do.

How…Do you have really low acc or something?

1 Like

Just did 245 after lazing out the past few days. My vote is one go, you’ll feel a lot better once everything is 0.
Although this should come with saying, but only do them if the accuracy will be high. It’s pointless to do ifi they’re all levelling down :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This.

I work a 9 - 5 and my job usually involves tight deadlines, so I can’t just take a “study break” like some users do. The Ultimate Timeline script is a lifesaver. It allows me to time my lessons so that I end up with a manageable amount of reviews (less than 150 a day) even if can only do them mornings and afternoons.

I know there’s also an anti-burnout script somewhere that limits the amount of lessons you can do based on how many items you have on apprentice, effectively limiting the reviews you do per day, but I haven’t used it myself.

3 Likes

Haha, yeah. True. Already managed them all. Did them in 3 sessions. About 97% accuracy, so I should be fine.

I have 187 in apprentice now. Lmao.

@Vanilla: What do you mean low acc? Level 9

When you do your reviews, do you do poorly? Even going at full speed, I usually am at 100 apprentice items…so its weird for you to have so many.

1 Like

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: that’s me. 184 apprentice cause my brain no work good.

Also, now with the new baby, and the new job that I can’t take study breaks from, I get one review a day sometime after shes asleep. I keep telling myself I’ll get up early and do a before work review, but when you get at most 6 hours of sleep, in 1.5-2 hour chunks, that snooze button is too tempting.

1 Like

Not really. My accuracy is about 98% I believe? No idea how!

1 Like

I went at full speed (at least up to level 46), and typically my apprentice stayed under or near 100 also. I think really the only ways to get apprentice items much higher than that are to #1 get apprentice or guru reviews wrong and #2 do a ton of lessons at one time (especially if you just leveled up or had a backlog of vocabs). Since you have 148 apprentice vocabs, I’d guess that’s probably what happened…

2 Likes

How many lessons do you do a day (if once a day)?

I usually have around an 80-85% accuracy level and generally keep an apprentice level of nearly 200. Contrary to what most people here seem to imply this should be normal. On the forums everyone seems to be rocking 90-95% accuracy rates which means they either already know the material or they are using scripts to manipulate the srs in a way that makes it possible.

1 Like

Not really. I usually get ~95% with neither of those things. I suppose it depends on the person, or maybe what you do during lessons and reviews?
Typically I write everything down, that might help.

No. It depends on the person. Some are better at memorizing than others. I am at about 89%, I think. Quite unbecoming to suggest that people who do well either know the stuff already or cheat the system…
There are very efficient ways to level up fairly quickly and maintain low work loads as long as accuracy is not too low. For starters, scale the number of lessons you do with your accuracy. If x is the baseline, but your accuracy is below y, do less than x lessons per day.

1 Like

It’s not really a suggestion. Cheating has a negative connotation, but since this is self learning I would prefer to call it manipulation of the srs. It doesn’t matter how good your memory is no one would be leveling up in 7-8 days without circumventing the srs design in some way. The whole system is designed around forcing your brain to recall information that has not been integrated into your mind yet. Some people write things down, use kaniwani, or review things before their wanikani reviews come up. The kind of perfect recall that’s implied by a lot of these posts does not exist in a classroom setting outside of extraordinary individuals that are too rare to be relevant.

1 Like

The best is when you finish that +200 review and BAM, you level up and have 50+ new lessons.

The “More reviews have stacked on” while you were reviewing aren’t as bad and getting a bunch of new lessons.

1 Like

I haven’t done review for a while so I got even higher.
So to make it more managable plus I could memorize them properly, I only review 10% of the total numbers. This does not include lessons.
I will go for new lessons only when the I got less than 50 orless than 10 reviews. Haha

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. How does writing it down circumvent the SRS? What I mean by writing it down is that whenever I have a lesson, I look up the stroke order and write the kanji in a notebook. Then if I have time, I write everything again come review time.

Either way, 7 day levels are perfectly doable if you pay careful attention during lessons and watch your reviews. The SRS system is designed to catch things that slip, but it doesn’t mean everything will necessarily slip from your memory.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.