Have you ever come across kanji or words that are new to you in your own language? How do you deal with it?

TBH, I wish I never learnt what a geoduck was, that thing is disgusting to look at.

Yep, I’ll stick to that.

I recently unlocked the 斗 radical and had no idea what a ladle was. I know the spanish word for it, but I still have to look up the translation whenever the radical shows up in my reviews.

Also I memorized the word “yonder” but I have 0 idea of what it’s supposed to mean or how to use it in english.

5 Likes

It’s somewhat uncommon in (US) English. I would be more likely to say “over there,” or maybe “out there.” “Yonder” indicates an indeterminate distance away, probably far enough to not be directly visible. In the Appalachian Mountains in the Eastern US, your nearest neighbor might be “over yonder” in the next valley over.

3 Likes

now i want to bring these back in english

1 Like

Well better to know before it’s on your sushi.

1 Like

I’ve always thought of “yonder” as being more or less equivalent to Spanish’s “aquel”, albeit far less common. It’s for very far away things. They’re not just over there, they’re way over yonder.

2 Likes

That happens to me as well, but I welcome the new words. Sometimes there are close synonyms for different kanjis and that’s difficult. What I find tricky is a mnemonic with cultural or local reference that means nothing to me, like Taters for “tei” :smiley: never heard of that, I had to google it. There aren’t many like that, but stil.

1 Like

or the good ole, WAY over there. like. Way far away.

not particularly relevant to the conversation at hand, but I love the word yonder and use it whenever applicable lol

1 Like

Most recent one: 船体 - hull.

Yes, I have!
For example,

https://community.wanikani.com/t/complaining-is-still-a-must/35475/6878?u=trunklayer