Has anyone used the book "Learn Japanes from Some Guy"?

Here’s a link to the book

It seems to be well reviewed on Amazon, but all I can find outside of that is one blog post saying that it has well written grammar descriptions and a good quantity of example sentences. Does it seem like a legit alternative to the more popular beginner level textbooks (Genki etc) or am I just getting caught by the incredible title?

Not having used this book, this kind of book is very often quite good as primers, of sorts. I’m pretty sure if you worked your way through the book it wouldn’t hurt you, and would probably teach you some Japanese. That said: Having looked only at the very beginning of your book, it seems to throw a lot of vocabulary at you without much of any cultural introduction (ie. It instructs you to use words like watasi and anata, kare without telling you when not to use these words). I’m not sure I’d recommend it, but I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me might come along and prove me wrong.

I used “Japanese: The Manga Way” as my “primer”, and I can wholeheartedly recommend that book. For what kind of book it is, it’s particularly detailed and will let you know of pitfalls when using for example personal pronouns.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.