Handmade question

I just got the word ‘Handmade’ in my lessons.

The word is てづくり. The kanji for ‘make’ is さく or さ.
I don’t get the explanation: The つ in つくり gets changed to づ because of the way the words are combined with each other.

There is no つ in さく… so my first guess was that the writing would be てさくり. Where does the つ come from?

It’s from the word 作り or 作る

10 Likes

It’s not さく it’s 作る, aka つくる, with body parts you’ll commonly get kunyomi in words where you would get onyomi otherwise

2 Likes

The body part has nothing to do with the kunyomi in this case.

1 Like

Oh! Ofcourse! I forgot about that one, now it makes sense. Thanks all :slight_smile:

you’re right, it has okurigana, just didn’t realize for a second, that it’s not one where it gets tucked in

btw, the reading explanation says so even:

The readings for these kanji are the kun’yomi readings. Just think of this word as two separate words put together (手 and 作る). The る in 作る gets changed to り because it’s an adjective, and the つ in つくり gets changed to づ

2 Likes

Yes you’re right, it even says so. Somehow I forgot that that’s written as つくる and I only had さく in my mind. I think I just need a coffee break now before continuing :wink:

2 Likes

手作りのコーヒーですか?

8 Likes

This is what motivates me the most… when I read something which contains words I recently learned. Somehow that makes me totally hyped :smiley:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.