Grammar doubt 4!

Can someone check this sentence please thanks :blush: (sorry it’s in romaji)

konban, soto ni ikimashou. ashita kyuujitsu deskara.

(let’s go out tonight. Because tomorrow is a holiday)

外に行く literally just means “to go outside” but doesn’t carry any sense of “for the purpose of doing something.”

どこかに行きましょう might be better, “let’s go somewhere”.
出かけましょう would also mean “let’s leave the house (for some purpose)”

Also, if you’re going to write です in romaji, it would be “desu”

5 Likes

ohh okay thank you so much!

1 Like

There is a thread for these types of short questions. :eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, occasionally making one individual thread is no issue, but making lots of separate threads in a short time can be seen as clutter.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a pattern developing that might not be ideal. ^^;

got it. I’ll do that next time!

1 Like

If you’ve started learning Japanese, and you literally have no foundation before now, I recommend you try the “Japanese From Zero” series. There are also videos on YouTube created by the Author.

1 Like

I’ve started Genki I but I’ve heard that Japanese from zero doesn’t cover a lot of concepts I might be wrong, though. I shall try that out too thank you :slight_smile:

You can watch the videos on YouTube. It honestly covers enough to get you going

okay perfect thank you so much!

Tangential question: “Do you want to go outside?” in English does, in certain contexts, mean “… for the purposes of beating each other up.” Does a similar subtext exist in Japanese?

2 Likes

I don’t know, so maybe I’ll do a little searching later, but I think the verb used would be 来る, both because both parties need to be present for a fight to happen and because 来る tends to be used when there’s something to discuss or settle. (E.g. a challenging「来い!」in the middle of a fight.)

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s more “come within arm’s length so’s I can hit you” rather than “let’s you and I go fight somewhere else”.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, the main character in The Naked Director on Netflix just said「うるせえな 外でやれ」to some rowdy boys in a bar as I was reading this—was translated as “Take it outside!”.

1 Like

Yes and no. In Mandarin, we say exactly the same thing (in terms of meaning) when challenging someone: “来 (lái)!” The sense is more of ‘come at me, bro’ or ‘if you’re think you’re so good, come try your luck’. There’s a related phrase: “放馬過来!(fàng mǎ guò lái)” (I’m writing it with Japanese kanji) which is more or less literally ‘let the horse(s) loose and send it (/them) this way!’ However, yes, I agree with your overall point. It’s not the same as

Maybe something like 「外でやりたい?ああ?」(I mean the threatening/dissatisfied sort of 「ああ?」, of course.) I found a bunch of answers on Chiebukuro that might fit:

One example:

お前ちょっとあの路地裏まで来い

So it seems 「<どこかに>来い」works just fine, though tone is probably important.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.