Graduating from Wanikani, feeling grateful (Level 60)

Congrats @d-hermit ! Thanks for sharing, that’s awesome progress in a short time period. I enjoy reading your posts so hope you stick around.

This could be a thread question in itself but I’ll post it here since it relates; given a high accuracy of 95% or above, is it really worth going though all the SRS stages? I suspect your failure rate is rather low once you pass a certain stage threshold and have really good memory retention thereafter. Just a thought since WK is time intensive and may be one few a exceptions where the re-order script could be used responsibly, such as guru’ing an item and just leaving it behind (I personally don’t have this scenario, my accuracy is rather shabby and by no means a gifted language learner :slightly_smiling_face:). Just using 95% since it’s posted here, not necessarily a magic number or anything.

I have to second this. It’s a great discussion topic on how to make the most of italki lessons and how to find the right fit. I sort of stopped earlier this year and just spent more time talking with friends as it’s fun and free…I didn’t want to pay for lessons just to shoot the breeze unless I had something specific to work on. Ironically, I lost one of my long time language partners/friends to italki…I suggested they would make a great tutor and now we don’t converse anymore given they would rather earn income to tutoring (disappointing but I understand). But a good point on the tutors, many put extra time in to build students which is a great value and some professionals cost alot but don’t necessarily prepare nearly as well.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been spending less time on the forum but that’s related more to life stuff than completing WK. I do plan to stick around though :slight_smile:

Interesting question! I’d say that in my case it’s the other way around: I remember items better while the srs intervals are short, especially when it comes to itmes I remember without mnemonics or using a personal mnemonic that I instantly forget (don’t be me, write down your personal mnmemonics).

And I also noticed that visually similar kanji really mess up with the ones I thought I knew really well.

And my overall accuracy is a bit deceiving. I had a much easier time on lvl 1 to around 40. I would often get final accuracy of 89% to 95% (on the review summary screen). But now when my final review accuracy rarely goes above 85%. I think I am missing around 25-30% of burn reviews now (to be fair in some cases it’s just a matter of entering a synonym or a wrong part of speech, not totally blanking out on the item). Occasianally I see an item in a review or look up a kanji when reading and: “oh, I am supposed to know this?”

One of the reasons is that I was getting lazy in the last few months and started skipping review sessions. And there’s a big difference if I review an item in 10 hours compared to 4 hours as per the interval.

Speaking of reviews… I need to get to them.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.