Going *really* slow doesn't do much

You know, because these kinds of topics seems to stir up alot of discussion, I thought why not drop another :^)

First of, lets make some assumptions:

• You get 100% of your reviews correct (for simplicity)
  • You do a set amount of lessons every day
  • I’ll count the lesson quiz as a review so terminology is prettier
  • You like shortcake (and quite obvious math)

Since there are 9 SRS-lvls and the lesson quiz, doing 20 Items every day means you get 200 reviews a day (once you reach the highest workload).

Now, if you did one lesson every day, you’d take 185 days for level 11.
Two lessons every day and it’s 92.5 days for level 11.
While this is twice the workload and half the speed, doubling your workload when your workload is tiny doesn’t do much, but half the time when your days/level are really high does do alot.

So 10 quizzes more a day can mean 92.5 days less spent on one level (I said it would be simple math, right?)
Now compare these:

7vs8
30vs40

In the upper example going 1 day slower decreases your workload by about 12,6 reviews/day
In the lower example going 12 days slower decreases your workload by about 12,8 reviews/day

While going slower does still decrease your workload by the same amount in relative terms, at some point it doesn’t decrease your workload by much in absolute terms.

So… you know. Maybe consider going a bit faster (or slower) depending on where you are? No pressure :stuck_out_tongue:

TL;DR Doing one lesson more over 8 days doesn’t do much but doing one lesson more over 42 days does alot. Add fancy tables and data presented in a way to suit the argument.

Also, weird spreadsheet to calculate the lessons/day you need to do for a given speed.

Why did I post this? Really bored, I guess :man_shrugging:
Maybe someone will find it useful? Just half a person would be nice as well.
Feel free to correct me on wrong maths. I tend to do those.

13 Likes

You were just trying to avoid your reviews, weren’t you?

35 Likes

Thyme is a social construct. Also an herb…:turtle::mantelpiece_clock::upside_down_face:

TLDR fair math but at the end of the day whatever people want to do is their decision and this particular conversation seems to be close to people’s hearts so no point in stirring up controversy.

12 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about… :worried:

7 Likes

This is a useful tool for how much reviews you’d need to do a day to keep up with your chosen amount of lessons: Wanikani Statistics

5 Likes

You still see the old website?

1 Like
1 Like

Okay that was a fast fix lol

1 Like

This again?!
Are we running out of things to talk about?

You can close your eyes and pretend this thread doesn’t exist.

1 Like

I just had to :upside_down_face:

To be fair, I’m also telling people to consider going slower :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Ok, now do the math for 20 lessons a day when I can only get 4 and a half new items per day correct…

6 Likes

Actually, just forget. I guess it’s my bad I came all this way to post this, but thankfully OP @GrumpyPanda was cool.

I just don’t get why people are so determined to prove going slow is bad or whatever. Those who want to learn fast, will; those who don’t, won’t. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

7 Likes

I think you’re overthinking it.
By going slow, you have time for other things to learn.
It’s not like you can outsource your time to learn other things like in business. Just like you can’t outsource push up :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.