Give me ideas to make a game

i am bored of doing reviews each day, isn’t fun anymore, i want to make a game, a very complete game where you can do the reviews and level up, my sister is graphic designer and she can help me with the animation, i just need ideas, the game can be complex but fun.

A sword fighting game. When you type, the game pauses until you hit enter, then the letters you typed form a sword made of glowing hiragana. Your enemies are turtles with kanji on their shells. To break through a turtle’s shell and defeat the turtle, your sword has to be made of a valid reading of the kanji. This could be top-down or side-scrolling. There could be a level for every level on WK with the same kanji, and the stage could be based on the tier level, so in the end you are fighting in paradise (or whatever comes next) with the Allicrab kimself roaring in the background.

A linear RPG where you advance from town to field to dungeon to town.  Each successive area primarily uses vocab from that level of wanikani.

tmahrt said... A linear RPG where you advance from town to field to dungeon to town.  Each successive area primarily uses vocab from that level of wanikani.
 This was what I immediately thought of as well. I second it!

An RPG where, before you are able to perform an action in battle (auto-attack, cast a spell etc), you have to get the correct meaning/reading of a kanji. These kanji could be taken from your previous three levels, for example.
If you answer correctly, your character performs an action. If you answer incorrectly, the character does nothing for one turn.

For this to make sense in the game, and perhaps to make it more visually appealing, the characters could use scrolls or parchment or something similar onto which they have to write the kanji with the reading/meaning. Doing this correctly would cast a spell, with auto-attacks being weak basic spells that take no mana to cast.

You can have different classes in the game. A summoner, e.g., would require five, or however many, correct kanji in a row to summon a spirit. Or perhaps the summoned spirit’s health would be lowered if you mess up the kanji. In the example of five kanjis required to summon, if you only get four of them right, the spirit would have 80% health upon being summoned.

Another class could be magic/spirit/elemental swordsman, who, instead of spells, is able to charge his sword with different kinds of energies. His “ultimate attack” could perhaps be a 10s time limit during which you have to get as many kanji right as possible. After the time limit he’ll perform a combo attack with the number of attacks corresponding to the number of correctly answered kanji.

For dungeons you could have puzzles where you have to collect and combine radicals into the correct kanji to unlock doors.

I don’t want a wall of text so I’ll stop writing now ^^;
Let me know if you need more ideas. I’ve got plenty.

Just one more thing: the different characters could use different fonts for the kanji, so the player would get used to seeing the same kanji in several different styles.

You could make a game where the Crabigator is terrorizing your village, and the only way to appease him is by feeding him vocabulary. You would go around your village (and to places outside of it) collecting vocabulary and fighting little vocab-thieving monsters (who you have to steal the vocab back from by providing the meaning of the word). After each feeding session he craves more and more, and he becomes more impatient so you’re forced to give him vocab faster. I don’t know how you would win, I think the Crabigator would just be forever hungry.

yuuzaaneemu said... [...]
Just one more thing: the different characters could use different fonts for the kanji, so the player would get used to seeing the same kanji in several different styles.
 I think your post is a good answer influenced by a nice amount of thought.
Though I'd probably add a "hardcore" mode, where it's reversed SRS, aka KaniWani-style (the english meaning has to be translated to japanese) for stronger spells/attacks.

Something that might also be interesting would be to use the example sentences that WK already provides (I haven't taken a look at the API, but it should be there I think), maybe to make those the hardcore difficulty ones instead of the reverse SRS.

In general I'd second this train of thought.
And I'd also love to play or at least try out the resulting game as well.

tmahrt said... A linear RPG where you advance from town to field to dungeon to town.  Each successive area primarily uses vocab from that level of wanikani.
 With an addition of the game dialog slowly including Japanese words you learned along your adventure. I don't know how complicated that would be.  

A dating sim, and you have to use the proper words to win his/her heart

RayderBlitz said...
 I think your post is a good answer influenced by a nice amount of thought.
Though I'd probably add a "hardcore" mode, where it's reversed SRS, aka KaniWani-style (the english meaning has to be translated to japanese) for stronger spells/attacks.

Something that might also be interesting would be to use the example sentences that WK already provides (I haven't taken a look at the API, but it should be there I think), maybe to make those the hardcore difficulty ones instead of the reverse SRS.

In general I'd second this train of thought.
And I'd also love to play or at least try out the resulting game as well.
 I agree, I think including grammar too would be good. Maybe have to translate a sentence before performing an action. English to Japanese is also great for cementing in those words.

I understand an action RPG would be the most interesting/exciting game to play in general, but it would also be good for the content of the game to relate to the words being tested. There are a lot of words, this might not be possible. I'm kind of thinking of the game Influent where you walk around a house.

gth99 said...A dating sim, and you have to use the proper words to win his/her heart
A graphic novel would be cool. Fill in the blank, write a sentence, translate, etc... 

Visual Novel with a funny but simple story line and infinite sidequests where you have to solve puzzles consisting of reviews.
Like you have to enter a room and for the entry code you have to type the reading of a vocab, or you have to choose from a selection the correct meaning etc.

pappasle said...
RayderBlitz said...
[...]
 I agree, I think including grammar too would be good. Maybe have to translate a sentence before performing an action. English to Japanese is also great for cementing in those words.

I understand an action RPG would be the most interesting/exciting game to play in general, but it would also be good for the content of the game to relate to the words being tested. There are a lot of words, this might not be possible. I'm kind of thinking of the game Influent where you walk around a house.
 I don't know about their knowledge / intentions concerning how far this game is supposed to go, but I think things like grammar (at least if it'll be a game that "auto-generates" the content/scenarios) are gonna be hard, because e.g. there are LOTS of ways to translate a sentence even if you keep the structure of the sentence the same after translating.

You play as a guy or girl sitting at a desk doing kanji revision on Wanikani. I would call it an action-RPG, as you are role playing the action of learning kanji on Wanikani. It’s totally meta, yo.

RayderBlitz said...
pappasle said...
RayderBlitz said...
[...]

I don't know about their knowledge / intentions concerning how far this game is supposed to go, but I think things like grammar (at least if it'll be a game that "auto-generates" the content/scenarios) are gonna be hard, because e.g. there are LOTS of ways to translate a sentence even if you keep the structure of the sentence the same after translating.
 Sounds like a graphic novel is the best route grammar-wise. Then the conversations can be hard typed in and not generated. Fill in the blank would address the multiple translation issue. But to create 50 levels would take time this way.

Beghaus said... You play as a guy or girl sitting at a desk doing kanji revision on Wanikani. I would call it an action-RPG, as you are role playing the action of learning kanji on Wanikani. It's totally meta, yo.
 I'm actually playing right now! It's so realistic.

pappasle said...
Beghaus said... You play as a guy or girl sitting at a desk doing kanji revision on Wanikani. I would call it an action-RPG, as you are role playing the action of learning kanji on Wanikani. It's totally meta, yo.
 You owe me $8 a month from now on.

A game that makes you solve 10 Japanese captchas

Beghaus said...
pappasle said...
 You owe me $8 a month from now on.
 I have decided to sacrifice $8 a month to the Crabigator as payment.

yuuzaaneemu said... An RPG where, before you are able to perform an action in battle (auto-attack, cast a spell etc), you have to get the correct meaning/reading of a kanji. These kanji could be taken from your previous three levels, for example.
If you answer correctly, your character performs an action. If you answer incorrectly, the character does nothing for one turn.

For this to make sense in the game, and perhaps to make it more visually appealing, the characters could use scrolls or parchment or something similar onto which they have to write the kanji with the reading/meaning. Doing this correctly would cast a spell, with auto-attacks being weak basic spells that take no mana to cast.

You can have different classes in the game. A summoner, e.g., would require five, or however many, correct kanji in a row to summon a spirit. Or perhaps the summoned spirit's health would be lowered if you mess up the kanji. In the example of five kanjis required to summon, if you only get four of them right, the spirit would have 80% health upon being summoned.

Another class could be magic/spirit/elemental swordsman, who, instead of spells, is able to charge his sword with different kinds of energies. His "ultimate attack" could perhaps be a 10s time limit during which you have to get as many kanji right as possible. After the time limit he'll perform a combo attack with the number of attacks corresponding to the number of correctly answered kanji.

For dungeons you could have puzzles where you have to collect and combine radicals into the correct kanji to unlock doors.

I don't want a wall of text so I'll stop writing now ^^;
Let me know if you need more ideas. I've got plenty.
 give me more ideas, my sister and i like the idea of making an RPG