Getting Caught Up on Reviews

Hey Everyone,

Up until recently I have been super diligent about keeping up with lessons and reviews. However, I took a couple days off and before I knew it I had hundreds of reviews to do, which eventually turned into over 1000. Whereas before I tried to keep my review stack at 0, its hard to find the motivation to do any because I feel like I cant get through them all after taking a few days off.

Does anyone have any tips for getting caught back up? I almost wish I could just “reset” all my current review timers that way I can just complete them in batches as they come back in. I really want to work on the lessons I have now but I feel like I will only make the problem worse :stuck_out_tongue:

Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

Ryan

4 Likes

First of all, don’t do lessons for a bit until you get caught up. It will only add to the burnout.

Second, you can do it! :tada: Just divide it into manageable chunks, i.e., make a goal for 100 reviews a day or something. Don’t feel like you have to do all 1000 at once.

Third, don’t worry about if you need to relearn them, that’s the SRS system’s job :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve come back from exactly the same situation, almost 1000 reviews that I had to do. There honestly isn’t a right or wrong way, just take things in the time frame that makes sense to you and as @Jirachi says, avoid doing any more lessons until you’re caught up. I ended up doing 100 or so reviews a day and then I had one day where I did 600 in one day because I was so impatient to get caught up. Just do what works for you ^-^

Also, since you’ve only just joined us on the forums…

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}

Even if you’ve been a member for a while, so aren’t really new hehe
welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already…
…but you probably have, because you seem like you’re diligent and awesome like that ^-^

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you…
…that you’ve likewise probably already seen, but it still worth mentiioning!

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope that you continue to enjoy WaniKani that your worship of the Crabigator is eternal!

2 Likes

Set a realistic goal for your review count at the end of the day and try to meet it.
Motivation: you want to get back to zero and you can get back if you work at it!

Sometimes WK needs to be more than just motivation, but just that you want to learn this way (you’re paying for it) and this is what you do to do so!

2 Likes

Doing any number of reviews, no matter how small will make a difference, Try not to get discouraged if you get ones wrong or coming back, becuase you learn them better the more you see them.
I’d also second not doing lessons until your reviews are back under control then you can find an amount and spacing for lessons that will help keep it that way if you don’t already have one.
In the future, if you have a forewarned break or a planned one for more than a few days or if you usually have a high review amount, I’d suggest turning on vacation mode (bottom of this page for easy access) when possible, which basically freezes the SRS.
Idk if you use userscripts, but of you find yourself discouraged by things like the correct percentage in reviews or want to do the most important stuff first, then the API and Third Party Apps section might be worth your time. I use [Userscript] WaniKani Prioritize Overdue Reviews (reorder script) since ti doesn’t have the potential to be incorrectly used by my lack of self control as much as other scripts, and makes me feel like the few reviews i get through in a day are more meaningful.
Hope that helped : )

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.