Flashcards with Multiple Correct Answers

While learning vocabulary, I have tried a variety of apps like Memrise, Anki, Quizlet, etc. I am often troubled when faced by a card that has multiple valid answers, only one of which is accepted.

This tends to happen for English -> Japanese, but it can also happen for pronunciations. IIRC in Memrise, the questions are multiple choice, and the answers would sometimes contain more than one right answer (e.g., valid katakana and hiragana for a pronunciation). Naturally, the underlying system would only accept one of those answers, which has annoyed me quite a lot. Many of these apps do not have an override, so I’m forced to accept being “wrong”.

I have held off on KaniWani since I know this issue is going to be an even bigger problem. Due to the limited kanji we learn, we have a multitude of ways for expressing the same vocabulary (e.g., “society”, “first”, “girl”, “trip”, etc.) I know I can add synonyms, but it seems like it’ll be a pain.

I am certain many of you have faced this problem too. How did you overcome it?

I am using Memrise myself, and I havn’t thought much about this problem actually. Same goes with WK to be honest, since there are most of the time several synonyms already added to the word, and since different kanjis are used for words that are similar It’s not much of a problem to seperate them in my opinion.

I have experienced this problem on KaniWani though, and I have been forced to use synonyms in order to separte some of them there (But that’s because you can only see the English word and no kanjis).

So I havn’t really taken notice of the problem, but I guess that’s because I learn from a vocab deck that uses Kanji - Katakana and Hiragana words. When you say that the options are listing similar pronounciations or hiragana/katakana spelling of the correct word, doesn’t it mean that you actually failed the answer?
Same with what I guess would be the listening comprehension from memrise? If a deck is listing several answers with the exact same pronounciation, then that seems like a really bad deck. Are you sure that the pitch is not different?

This is why I stopped using Memrise for a good while actually, haha, I got so mad once. I had to pick from multiple choice for the pronunciation for two, so I listen to my three options: に、いち、に。O…kay? So I picked one of the にs and…it marked me wrong. Apparently I’d picked the に audio from the learning hiragana section, not the に audio from the learning numbers section. I was so mad lmao. I didn’t touch Memrise for another three weeks.

Anyway, kaniwani is not nearly so bad. There is an override button. And if you add synonyms on wanikani, it’ll help you identify which answer you’re looking for on kaniwani. For example, I got sick of answering wrong for 青年 because I kept answering 少年. So I went into wanikani and threw in the synonym “the blue butt one” on 青年, so I know which word for youth I’m looking for.

I set up Anki to accept mutiple possible answers.

@Metamorphosis: Sorry, when you were responding, I realized that I wrote WaniKani instead of KaniWani. I’m fine with WaniKani’s Japanese -> English, but like you and everyone else, I’ll be adding synonyms on KaniWani.

The issue with Memrise was that they’d pronounce a kana but have two right answers. It was pretty much @Shadkat’s situation. (I decided not to continue with Memrise. :D)

I’m glad that KaniWani will prompt you with all of the synonyms added in WaniKani. That certainly makes it usable. Phew! Guess I’ll be signing up soon.

@hinekidori: As for Anki, I didn’t realize that you could set up multiple possible answers. In the first place, it seems rather hard to set up for Android, so I never got around to using it.

I was mostly planning on using somebody else’s shared deck (like Core 10K), but if it’s possible to add extra valid answers, then I should be fine with it.

This is handled pretty simply on KW. The ignore button is built in, and you just click add synonym on the review page to add it. It also automatically imports your existing WK synonyms.

Yeah I noticed it said KaniWani later, so I was thinking did I read that wrong from the start? (But then I saw you had corrected it). Ah, I see! Well using a deck that has words and kana is bound to have problems like that, since if you for example have the kana に and the kanji for 二 problems like that can happen (It can’t be that often unless there are multiple types of examples like this in the deck?)

I have a Hiragana/Katakana deck that I drill every day, and they are both seperated. I also learn from a 6k Deck at the moment, and I have never had any of these issues.

You can also remove items that you don’t want in a deck, I have used other decks where I stumbled upon duplicates of words that I already knew (or decks with hiragana and katakana in them along with words) so I just removed the kana practices from the deck.