Feature request: dedicated search page

(I recognize that this is a request for a non-trivial change that would require a good amount of work…)

It would be really nice if WaniKani had a dedicated search results page with a nice HTTP GET parameter, so that I could set up a Chrome search engine shortcut to WaniKani results. I currently use jisho.org for basically all my kanji/vocab searches, and tangorin.com for names, like so:

uketamawaru - Jisho.org or
http://tangorin.com/names/inoue

But in the Chrome address bar, I can just type “j uketamawaru” and it automatically constructs the right URL and goes to the jisho.rg results page for “uketamawaru”. Same with Tangorin: I type “jn inoue” and it goes to the right page.

Because the WaniKani search is completely within the page, there’s no URL for it to construct:

I.e., even though I searched for “to care about” and got a result, the page URL didn’t change, so there’s no way to go directly to it using a search engine shortcut.

Anyway, if there were something like WaniKani / Search that would show some results, I would probably switch my searches over to it. Does anyone else care about this?

I wrote a userscript as a workaround for this because I also wanted to use a custom Chrome search. Would of course be nice to have this as a real feature, it is not the first time this was requested but there was no response last time this was requested.

2 Likes

Very nice! That’s basically exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks!

Now if the search box only accepted romaji… :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.