Extensive listening challenge šŸ‘‚ (2021)

My listening focus was disrupted for the same reason Iā€™ve mentioned elsewhere, but hereā€™s some catch-up on odds and ends:

At the time I decided to focus on lighter shows with JP subtitles, so I watched the first ā€œcaseā€ of Great Pretender. It was pretty fun! Some heists, some style, but I didnā€™t feel especially motivated to carry on with the second case directly - maybe if Iā€™m ever in the mood.

Then I followed that up with the drama version of Kakegurui - the original manga of this was one of my reliable ā€œnot especially demanding but pretty funā€ manga when I was checking out English manga from the library before. Itā€™s pretty much just a parade of over-the-top weird gambling situations and not very much more than that, so I felt like it would be good for frazzled times.
And I think it was! It follows the beats of the manga, which is good because otherwise it would have been a lot harder for me to understand the convoluted rules of the various gambling games, and having real actors means thereā€™s the added benefit of watching people extremely chew the scenery in over-the-top performances (if you want to see someone say ā€œćƒ•ć‚©ćƒ¼ćƒ«ćƒ‰ā€ as dramatically as possible, itā€™s a good show to watch). Although sometimes it can be exhausting (the protagonistā€™s straight man routine of being a shocked audience to all the weirdos is bland in the comic but here I found it grating since itā€™s so dialed-up), and itā€™s still pretty much the same parade of weird gambling situations without anything more.

Now that Iā€™m all settled in though, and donā€™t need a fan blasting at me while I exercise anymore, Iā€™m getting back into Return of Ultraman! I watched the first episode again with subtitles, and was surprised to find that I retained exactly 0 more information than I did when I watched it without a while back, and so that bolstered my decision to try the show without subtitles, and I think itā€™s going fine.
Iā€™ve been doing crosswords recently, and Iā€™d compare my listening comprehension right now to a hard but manageable crossword, where like, you arenā€™t getting the clues imediately, but youā€™re filling in the gaps with crosses and figuring the whole thing out, just a little slowly.
Like itā€™s just a rapid-fire parade of moments like ā€œć‚†ć†ćŸć„? Wait, no heā€™s saying heā€™s glad about something to his commanding officer in an emotional moment, that must have been 兄隊ā€ my brain cycling through possibilities just slightly behind where the show is. Looking forward to listening hopefully catching up to the point where I can be comfortable and confident about it and not just barely managing.

Wrestling

(contractually obligated @fallynleaf tag)

I watched the first day of Wrestle Grand Slam in Metlife Dome attentively listening practice style and enjoyed it quite a bit - my new comfy chair made it especially nice. I wouldnā€™t call it an especially memorable show, but the main event really made it shine because Iā€™m definitely always ready to get emotional about Tanahashi winning, and him and Ibushi both crying a lot made the emotions of the match clear even though at the time I didnā€™t have very much context.
It still feels pretty cool that I get what commentators are saying more often than not. The one tidbit I remember is that I was trying to figure out what they were saying whenever wrestlers punched each other in a particular area, so I tried googling ćƒ­ćƒ¼ćƒ–ćƒ­ćƒ¼ and figured out it was, of course, ꀄꉀ.

The second day I didnā€™t feel strongly about, and it got pre-empted by All Out, which I wanted to see because AEW is so absurdly hot right now. There wasnā€™t any Japanese listening practice on that of course, except for one notable exception. The promise of Suzuki was actually enough to get me to sign up for a way to watch TNT to try Dynamite, and that was pretty fun, but I still donā€™t necessarily like the format of an American wrestling TV show all that much, and most egregiously they cut é¢Ø恫ćŖ悌!, so Iā€™m not sure how long Iā€™ll keep that up.

I was very behind on the 5 Star GP, but Iā€™ve had it on in the background while working so Iā€™m very quickly catching up. That means I havenā€™t been paying a lot of attention to it, but itā€™s been very good! Iā€™m really stunned by what the shift to Oedotai has done for Starlight Kid momentum-wise. I feel like she transformed instantly from an endearing sidekick to like, the most elegant and put together person on the roster. I noticed they put up a whole day of the show on youtube - the one in Shiodome (confusingly not a dome, but 걐ē•™) with the highspeed championship match. So might as well link that.
Since thereā€™s no commentary, itā€™s not really listening practice though.
One thing I do remember from what feels like ages ago is the first show had commentary from Miki Motoi - that was cool to hear since I enjoyed this interview column with her about wrestling when it was still a stretch for me to read (this part is just an excuse to link and recommend that).

Oh, also I watched the movie Black River (é»’ć„ę²³) - it was added to the criterion channel with a group of Japanese noir, and I didnā€™t know much of anything about it but I really enjoyed it a lot. Itā€™s a super interesting portrait of the townsfolk surrounding an American air base in the 1950s (which is especially interesting to me since I grew up around an American overseas air base, and have intensely mixed feelings about that fact), and Tatsuya Nakadai is great in it as a terrible person.
The plot goes into some rough territory (the main thread involves Nakadaiā€™s character assaulting and manipulating a woman until his eventual comeuppance) but I really loved the attention paid to a web of surrounding castmembers, all hard on their luck tenants of a crumbling 長屋, and surrounding social issues like rentersā€™ rights vs. property development and the weight of imperial American presence completely disregarding the people around their base vs. eking a living out of catering to the American airmen.
The director is someone whose name I should have known before this - Masaki Kobayashi, who directed the movie Kwaidan (ę€Ŗ談), which I LOVE. Itā€™s a long and slow but eerie and gorgeous collection of ghost stories and Iā€™d definitely recommend it. Truly beautiful sets and imagery, and a lot of attention paid to Nakadai reacting to things. What more could you really ask for?
Definitely interested in seeking out the directorā€™s other work nowā€¦
Not really listening practice though! I watched with English subtitlesā€¦

2 Likes