Example Sentences: Unfamiliar Kanji/words

I have one frustration with the example sentences.

I understand the need to be able to read the Kanji alone (obviously), but pretty much all sentences, especially for earlier lesson-folk, have no idea what any other kanji/words are in the sentences.

Could we have the example sentences have the hiragana assistance above the unfamiliar kanji? Again, I fully understand the need to learn and recognize kanji/words, but with all but one word in a sentence being unrecognizable/unlearned words, it doesn’t do anything for me most of the time.

1 Like

Alternatively (which I recommend), install yomichan and use the scan feature.

1 Like

I actually have yomichan, it’s just the feeling of losing that ‘whole sentence in one smooth motion’ reading that divorces me from trying to use it as a study method. I’ll try the furigana!

I would love to have 2 or three relevant example sentences per vocab that only use what has been learnt before. A mouse-over function to show reading would also be cool.

Maybe there are a gazillion people who where born in Japan and love the current examples - so don’t remove them - just add some that really help understanding the vocab in real world context.

I tried the userscript that reads the sentences aloud - but I would very much prefer a human voice that reads the sentence. Then there would be no need for furigana.

I would shell out some cash for this feature.

Probably a ton of work, but I’d prefer to have audio recordings of the context sentences. I often try to test myself by reading the example sentences, but without an option to enable furigana, I never know if I’m saying it right (even if I understand the meaning). If they did decide to add furigana, I’d love for it to be disabled by default, with the option to “reveal” it after.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.