Everyday Phrases that Don't Translate Well

So this is just someone that I realized I need to know cause I talk Japanese everyday at work but I find there are phrases/grammars that are very common but because I never studied them there is no way I would know or translate in my head very well.
The phrase that started this was 布団を新しくしたから気持ちいい。
Because I did the futon new it is comfortable? No it means “I got a new futon…” like what? haha I get it now but yeah.

Any other phrases or grammars that would be helpful for someone in Japan to know?

お願いします

And I dont just mean the basic usage that everyone learns on their first week. I mean knowing the usage that seems to show up in literally every social interaction at work.

You sure you don’t mean よろしくおねがいします? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hm? Isn’t that pretty close to what it literally says, though? I feel good because I made my futon new, i.e., “I replaced it?”

It’s using this rule.

yes im sure

I take it japanese is your second language, but translations are rarely very straight forward, it’s all over the place.

頼む - when asking someone for a favor casually
お疲れ様です - greetings when coming to work
お先に失礼します and the short お先に - when leaving work before others

Edit: hot dayum, I just realized @plantron さん is almost level 40 now :smiley:

:sweat_smile:

The more immersion I get, the more I realize that the things you learn the first week, like する=“to do”, are woefully simplistic representations. But they’re a start.

[Noun]を[Place]に 忘れた。 = I left noun in place.

忘れる means ‘to forget’ but it’s often used as ‘to forget to bring something’.

“I forgot my wallet at the store”

It translates perfectly, actually lol

Both “I left [noun] in [place]” and “I forgot [noun] in [place]” are natural in English. (And can be used the way 忘れる means)