Entering Radical meaning for Kanji

I noticed if I enter in a kunyomi reading of a word I may get told it should be the onyomi. I did this for 七 when I entered なな instead of しち.

Can it not do the same for when one mistakes whether I’m being asked for the radical or kanji meaning? I did this for 一 when I mistakenly entered “ground” instead of “one”. I realized immediately afterward it was the pink kanji screen and not blue radical. But I got dinged. They know the kanji and radical are the same, so it should be able to say, “Please enter the Kanji meaning”, and vice versa.

I know this probably a short term thing for newbies (like me), as new radicals which are identical to a kanji probably don’t popup for too long. It’s a level 1 problem, but being extra helpful might be a factor for choosing to continue beyond level 3, for some.

This problem is reduced very quickly, but it is replaced by a new one (kanji or vocab reading?).

For me it was many a matter of training, you have to look at the background color carefully. Blue is for radicals, pink kanji, and violet is vocab. In the beginning I had to consciously double-check, but it gets better.

You can also use a “user script” where you can ignore a wrong answer, you can search in the forum. I use it because I produce silly typos from time to time.
Maybe there is a script to look for radical names in the wrong places, but you will be asked comparatively few times for radicals in the future, and blue will really stand out for you.

You can’t, and there’s a reason. shichi and nana are both correct readings for the “7” kanji, so if WK looking for a specific reading, it will tell you that instead of marking you wrong.

Ground is not an acceptable meaning for the kanji “1”. It is wrong, and marked as such,

If you get mixed up with the radicals, which is normal, you can add synonyms for them, so you can get WK to accept “one” as the meaning for the radical. Then you start treating both of them as “one” and forget about ground.

Btw, the reason for the radical to be called ground is that it will help in the mnemonics for more complex kanji that use the radical. You can think of the radical as one, but you can’t think of the kanji as ground.

Plus, as @acm2010 has said, you can use the ignore script and just override wrong answers, but if you plan on sticking around, you should really only do that for typos, you should never override a kanji’s meaning. If it’s wrong it’s wrong, you’ll get it right next time!

By the way, welcome to the community! Be sure to read the FAQ thread as it will give you great tips on how to make the most of WaniKani.

This reminds me of another reason: WK is not very consistent with on and kun readings when teaching new kanji. Usually it teaches the on reading together with the kanji, but sometimes not (for example when that reading is rarely used). If you happen to know the onyomi for such kanji as well it would be quite unfair not give a warning.

Entering any valid reading doesn’t work in all directions though, usually answering with the kun-yomi is not accepted, even if it would be a correct reading for the whole thing. It’s a bit annoying in the beginning, but you learn through pain :wink:

I’m unlikely to adopt an ignore strategy, unless I start to believe there is an endemic flaw in WaniKani I need to work around. It’s too easy head down the dark path that way…

Slowly earning a “do overs” as one progresses, might be a simple means to avoid excessive self-cheating, as long as you’re not the king or queen of typos, lol. I’ve already got bitter memories of getting burned, and not in the good way (did I really just say?!?).

I’ll try to focus on what’s being asked for now, I’m pretty sure I can adapt and make less mistakes. I had read the official FAQ, but not a community FAQ thread, I’ll look for that.

Thanks for the feedback!

As I unlock radicals I go back and add the real meaning if there is one as a Synonym, including the ones that are slight modifications of Kana [ hat = he , nailbat = ki etc ]. I am better at just using something consistent in meaning for answering.

For Kanji it does work. I can’t remember a single time where I got marked wrong for answering with Kun’yomi instead of On’yomi. You just need to be careful because any Okurigana is never part of the Kun’yomi. For example, the Kun’yomi of 切 would be き and not きる.

Here is proof:

The only time entering a valid reading doesn’t work with kanji is, of course, when WK doesn’t have it listed. This happens occasionally.

For instance, 肌 has the onyomi of き, but WK lists no onyomi. So when I entered き the other day, I got marked wrong. I did email them about it though.

Interesting, I thought I had some annoyances with entering kunyomi and started to try onyomi first even when I was pretty sure the taught version was kun. So I can just try いずみ for 泉 and it will be just warned?

Yes. You can see on the item page that 泉 has いずみ listed as the Kun’yomi.

You can check that on an item’s page. If a reading is grayed out, you’ll be warned for entering it.

Bad example, but irregular Okurigana usage could be きり.

A better one would probably be し for 閉 (閉める), but しめ for 湿 (湿る).

翔ける. WaniKani teaches かけ for 翔, and taught the vocab 翔ける. This is corrected to 翔る in the recent update, though. I used to trip this one because of this reason.

I always think it is more reasonable to remember Okurigana with Kunyomi (because I remember the vocab…) One should be able to see this unreasonability, even in lower levels.