Pages 57 - 61

Story 2: バラと天ぷら 事件

Start Date: 8th June
Last Week: Case Part 1
Next Week: Case Part 3

Doggy%20Detectives

わんわん探偵団 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

I have decided that 15 minutes is more than enough time to spend looking up 「ピーヒャラ」 and getting no (meaningful) results. I have thus determined this is a nonsense word whose meaning is simply inferred from context.

I did happen upon a nice short blog post by a parent whose child was reading the book. The post is almost a decade old, meaning the kid’s probably an adult now. Maybe one of the WaniKani Community’s Japan-based members can locate him and ask him about the meaning of 「ピーヒャラ」. (Considering I just spent about 15 grueling minutes in a web search engine, I think it’s not unreasonable to ask a few people to take a fanciful trip across Japan in search of a young man who read this book around a certain date ten years ago.)

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

1 Like

Well that was going to be my first question, so I guess I can scratch that one off the list :joy:

1 Like

I promised myself to actively participate in the discussion (to justify not working today). But I think I understood what I’ve read. My question is about the reason to use this particular form, not what in means.
Page 57

近所のペンキのやに めりなおしてもらうことにしたが、とんだめいわくだ.

I understand this broadly:

It was such a nuisance (to see graffiti written on my door and not being able to wipe it) that I had to ask the local painter to paint it over.

I think i am confused for 2 reasons:

1. why do we need here ことにしたが, without it would still be clear that the last part of the phrase explains the reason for the first

2. why do we need to おしてもらう, when we can just order the painting job. the use of this particular form means to me (correctly?) that we need politely ask painters opinion

3 Likes

I thought it was split more where the comma was, so:

I decided to ask the neighbourhood painter to paint it over for me, but it’s a terrible inconvenience.

The implication that although it’s going to be fixed, it’s still a bother / annoyance. Does that kind of play into your understanding of (1)?

I think this is the first meaning on Jisho, so he’s saying he decided to ask the painter to sort it out.

I don’t think it’s that polite. I think the literal “I got the painter to paint it over for me” captures it quite well? (see meaning 2)

Nice to have you commenting :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thank you for explaining. I think I learned those wrong being so sure now of the wrong meaning. It sounds like I need to get back to grammar practice. It is shame I cannot find time for all of that - kanji, grammar, reading.

3 Likes

I’ve done a bit of Googling of this and although I’m not 100% sure I’m correct, it does seem to be onomatopoeia for a flute sound or a horn sound.

I seen this explanation on both a HiNative and a Japanese Wikipedia article where it mentions ピーヒャラ笛.

I’m not entirely sure how that works in the sentence in the book then. I know it’s not entirely the same but given in English you can talk about ‘blowing your own horn’ ie boasting, maybe you can use ピーヒャラ in a similar way in Japanese to say that someone is complaining? :woman_shrugging:

My Japanese isn’t good enough to try Googling that though :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

On p58, I wanted to check: is Fukuoka being shouted at or doing the shouting? I mean, he looks like he’d shout at people…

3 Likes

Yeah, this wasn’t super clear, but at the end of that sentence he speculates that “[they] probably resent that” - he wouldn’t need to wonder about the resentment if he was the one who was insulted!

4 Likes

Fukuoka isn’t a particularly likeable character, is he?

I’m glad everybody else asked about ピーヒャラ! Definitely one for the “well, I get the gist I suppose” words.

2 Likes

Page 61 ひとたば三千円もする

ひとたば - one bunch
三千円も - as much as three hundred thousand yen
する ?

I was expecting a です at the end of the sentence and was a bit puzzled by する. I’m guessing it’s meaning 9 in Jisho - to cost.

Page 56-57: The graffiti!

So I’m seeing on the left what looks like an octopus with the writing バカ (idiot) and then some characters I’m not sure of.

Then we have an equals sign. On the right is that a tongue sticking out (?) :tongue: (at first I thought it was a ladybird) and than a face poking the tongue out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and the writing is フクオカ (the old mans name) and then I think ケチ (stingy).

Feels like the graffiti is a big clue to the crime. If that does say ケチ then it certainly points to the flower shop incident.

3 Likes

Not necessarily - I have a feeling that being stingy may be his usual behaviour!

5 Likes

Page 61

*thousand

Would the fact that it is in dictionary form there have to do with the general narration style of not using polite form?

Pages 56-7

:beetle:
I was thinking that right up until I read your post!

2 Likes

Nice catch - I’d glossed over that.

I hadn’t even thought to look at the graffiti! I didn’t really notice there were characters mixed up in there.

3 Likes

Gosh, this おじいさん is quite the character huh?

Page 59

うーん、それはもしかしたら、
Hmmm, maybe as for that,

福岡さんのほうがケチなんじゃないか。
Fukuokasan is more stingy, isn’t he?

What does それ refer to?

3 Likes

I thought the それ referred to the story that Fukuoka had just related about the flower shop incident.

3 Likes

I’m confused because there doesn’t seem to be much of a comparison made? Could のほうがX also be used as a general intensifier? Like ’ he is rather stingy, isn’t he?'.

1 Like

I think 福岡さんのほう means 福岡さん is being compared with everyone who is not 福岡さん. So, compared with others, 福岡さん is stingy (福岡さん is more stingy that others).

3 Likes

Page 60

においを、アルプスにおぼえてもらわなければならない。
Is “must” applied to Alps or to Spitz? Like I must get Alps to learn the smell for me or Alps must learn the smell for me (the for me is to translate the もらう). Sorry, I’m just kinda confused by the use of なければならない in this context :sweat_smile:

2 Likes