Pages 63 - 67

Story 2: バラと天ぷら 事件

Start Date: 15th June
Last Week: Case Part 2
Next Week: Case Part 4

Doggy%20Detectives

わんわん探偵団 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

Page 63

I’m surprised and pleased to see a definition/translation of the phrase containing ウン・スン that we also saw in the first case - who knew a phrase that long would be in jisho!

1 Like

page 64

Mr. Fukuaka likes to swear. Swearing in children book is probably serving the purpose of teaching children kindness and self control. I am not sure how educational is it for Japanese learning adult.

『なんだ。このケチ。ピンボケのめけさくのピンポン頭のブリブリやろう。』ってどなりつけたんだが.

Mr.Fukuaka is upset that he cannot buy cheaper pork cutlet.
So he is screaming:

What?! That stinks. Let your head spin around as out of focus ping pong.

Any better idea how to make a swearing phrase out of all these katakana?

2 Likes

I translated the individual phrases as follows from Jisho:

ピンポケ = off the point, out of focus

ぬけさく = fool

ピンポン = ping pong!

ブリブリ = angrily, in anger

And ケチ as miser

How to actually make it into a sentence I’m not sure, I think it’s more a string of insults.

4 Likes

This guy really likes to pick fights huh? :sweat_smile: Can’t wait to see who he pisses off next week :wink:

5 Likes

Is this not やる in volitional form rather than 野郎?

Page 67

The food in the tempura shop looks good! The customer is ordering いも天, battered sweet potato. There is also a sign for えび天, battered prawns (visible on the bottom of the display). But what’s the last thing on offer in the top left - battered イクラ?

2 Likes

Mirroring the image, it easily looks like イカ天 to me.

mirror

3 Likes

Page 63

ゆうべ、花屋のおくさんがらくがきをしに、ここにきたのなら、かすかにでも、バラのにおいがするはずだ。

I got the gist of the sentence but wasn’t sure about the grammar of しに. After thinking about it I think this is the construction: verb stem + に + くる /いく meaning “to come/go in order to do something”.

In this case: らくがきをしに…きた - came in order to do graffiti.

And for the whole sentence: If the lady from the flower shop came here to do graffiti last night, then even if only faint, there would be the smell of roses.

7 Likes

Yep - as usual, Japanese commas are arseholes. Then it adds an extra layer of confuscation by dropping the destination into the middle of the construction rather than having it preceding.

6 Likes

This must be the title of your future Japanese grammar book.

5 Likes

Ahaha, genuis! :rofl: perhaps I should start a Japanese learning blog…

5 Likes

Trying to read Fukuoka’s rant this week through an antihistamine induced haze was…interesting to say the least :joy:

6 Likes

(to my everlasting shame, I just got 落書(らくが)き wrong on a review :disappointed: [the reading, that is])

5 Likes

I’ve failed it 2-3 times in the last 2 weeks. I was really happy to see it appear. I feel like the book’s given me a false sense of security.

4 Likes

I have nothing to add this week except that I’m obsessed with Alps’ face on P67. That is a serious look of love!

5 Likes

:laughing: it really is…

1 Like

“Shoving” the dog again :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nevermind.

Page 63:
さ、いま、かいできたバラのにおいがするかい?
At first I was not sure why we have “to smell” two times here (かいで/かぐ and においがする). But I guess it means: Do you now smell the roses that you (just) smelled (at the store)? Is my understanding correct?

3 Likes

I agree that ‘shoving’ came across a little aggressive in English - “to push away” has quite a “get away from me!” feel to it, whereas the focus in this situation is more on the fact that he’s shunting towards the shopkeeper. But I think it’s just a different nuance.

As for your actual question, looks good to me :+1:

3 Likes