Does anyone else feel a bit disappointed with the example sentences?

I personally find the example sentences in WaniKani less helpful than they could be. Often they include kanji you haven’t learned yet, esecially at the level where I am now. They aren’t as easily understandable because of this, and so I often don’t understand the difference in nuance between similiar meaning words. Maybe this is just how it has to be, but there’s also the problem of just one example sentence per word. If the word has multiple meanings/uses then you don’t get to see how they are used otherwise.

As far as I see it, the point of the context sentences is to show you an example of what part of speech and generally what context the word can be used it. In that sense, you can find ones that fail, but most of them are fine. Restricting the kanji used to only ones that have already been learned would make the task of creating sentences much harder.

Basically, it’s just something where I can go “ah, yeah, that means the noun and not the verb” or “oh, it’s this kind of [homonym] and not the other kind”

But at the end of the day, you should be researching words elsewhere before using them. In a monolingual dictionary, for instance.

2 Likes

You’re probably right. I guess its more just a couple words that had example different from what I commonly hear in real life, but overall the examples are useful.

Well, as you said, if there’s only one example sentence, words that have multiple definitions can’t be fully fleshed out. Were there any examples you were thinking of?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.