Do you want a WK-like tool for vocab learning? [Poll]

Im curious, how is what you outlined different from HouHou (great tool).

The only difference that I see that it has core 10k imported, which you could do by choosing to import it into to HouHou - and im guessing this will be on-line service… I perfer one time fee’s rather than a reoccuring subscription - life seems to becoming about subscriptions - games / videos / music / others - I like to actually buy and own a thing and would be more happy to purchase app for android or windows… If you would be open to it, i wouldnt mind an android app.

If so, then frankly I dont think this application would be for me. I like HouHou how you can search a word, add it to you’re list and learn the word through the wanikani approach. (Though i wished the text box was bigger, maybe will be in future - but not a big deal).

How do you import 10k into houhou?

I haven’t actually done it but looking at the WK Expansion Pack and Master List it doesnt look so difficult.

See screenshot below - If you modify the 5/8/10k spreadsheet then it should be easily done. The Kanji Reading/ Followed by the accepted reading in Hiragana (what you would be tested on), the meaning of what is it, POS: adj/v, what type? not sure what LCL is and Tags like WK level etc. Once the excel magic done, you should be able to import the list.

Edit: I just had a try. Needs to be comma seperated file and on import in HouHou you can chose which heading assigned to which field on your CSV. There also Meaning Notes and Reading notes, these could be used for sentence expression & meaning - so you can see how that vocab is used in a real life sentence like the packs.

1 Like

My biggest curiosity would be if this tool would be usable purely on a browser like WaniKani is. The biggest ongoing reason why I don’t bother with Anki it can’t be used purely on a browser, making it worthless for me. I love WK and KW because I can log in no matter where I am and have full functionality.

3 Likes

i could pay some for, but i would prefer by free

i tried to import a 10k into houhou and failed horribly. If someone wold make a detailed explanation I would be very gratefull!

I would love this project if it had a way to sync with WK. I have no use for words involving Kanji I don’t know yet. UI and accessibility from mobile are the biggest deal for me.

1 Like

Thanks again for all the feedback. It’s been a month since my last post, so here’s a short update from my side:

This project is in the process of development right now. I expect version 1.0 to be ready for deployment by the end of May. Initially the application will be available on Windows, Mac, Linux and Android devices. iOS support and a web version may follow later on.

What to expect?
A Core 10k learning tool featuring SRS, similar to iKnow/Memrise/Anki but in the style of WK/BunPro. That means users are asked to type in the english meaning of a japanese vocab or the other way around.
Users will be able to choose whether they would like to learn the complete core 10k or just a part of it, for example only the words of a certain JLPT level.

Stay tuned :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why would you make desktop versions at all over a web+mobile? Only reason I can think of is offline use on desktop. If you do make desktop applications, please try and build in syncing through Dropbox, OneDrive, Drive…

Plans for WK integration?

While I agree, I’m not convinced the list of acceptable translation for sentences is prohibitive either. There may be twenty different ways translate a sentence, but this is in no way an absurd amount to build a product around.
In such an endeavor, I would suggest a feedback system à la Duolingo, where users can report alternatives and they then get integrated into the system. Over a fairly short period of time (weeks in the case of decently-sized user bases), the list of acceptable answers tends to be quite comprehensive, and at times exhaustive.

For what it’s worth, and not to shoot anyone down, I genuinely feel iKnow fulfills most of the “wants” listed in the first post, in addition to including listening review and audio example sentences, which is a massive plus. Like WK, it’s a paid service, but also like WK, it’s accessible via browser and app and requires no setup.

That said, if an additional service were to more closely mimic WK’s presentation and “gamification” elements in the way it clearly tracks SRS progress, I can see wanting that.

2 Likes

It is good to hear that the project is in the process now. Can’t wait to see it. :laughing:

1 Like

The words that WaniKani teaches are not all the Japanese words that exist. There are still heaps to learn in addition to or after WaniKani. WaniKani only teaches around 6000 words.

Personal reasons, I’m just not much of a web developer. As I mentioned, Android will be supported right away and I will try to add iOS support later on.

Syncing will be done automatically via web, no need for Dropbox & co. There will be no offline mode.

Kind of. Users can choose to learn only the vocabulary that is not part of WK. The vocabulary is ordered by WK level, so words composed of level 1 Kanji are taught first, followed by words composed of level 2 Kanji and so on.

2 Likes

How about the option of having vocabulary that uses Kanji which is not yet unlocked on WK stay locked in your application?

@Rakantor Any update on this development please? :rofl:

2 Likes

I totally forgot to reply to your last comment, sorry! Don’t worry I’m not demotivated, just a little surprised that 2 great new learning tools were released not long after I started developing this project :smile:
I previously stated that version 1.0 will be ready by the end of May. It’s as good as done, however I’d like to do some more cross-platform testing, code and database optimization… Basically I don’t want to rush anything and avoid unnecessary mistakes. Still need to setup a basic website as well ^^
I’m targeting June 8th as date of release. I’ll open a new topic then. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like the idea, but would much rather one app that covers the reading/writing (hiragana, katakana and kanji), vocab and grammar. A complete learning tool.
I’m currently using Wanikani for the kanji (already know hiragana/katakana at an acceptable level) and bunpro for grammar. The vocab is kind of being picked up from the two.
I would love an app that combines them all, takes into account your sleep schedule, and has the option to either mix everything together in the SRS or focus on one aspect at a time (kanji, grammar or vocab)
Having a small section to help reading vertically and right to left would help as well. I find it a tad harder to interpret things when characters are vertical instead of horizontal.

I had recently seen another post about a tool/site kinda already like this? This one was in beta though, think it still is.Seems about the same as your explaining but maybe its different.
I do like kaniwani just wish I could add my own vocab but it works well for improving recall.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.