Do you use the Mnemonics or opt for rote memorization?

was driving a point home. i’m not particularly interested in this kanji itself. just came to mind while writing.

the point i was making is:

wanna build a mnemonic with radicals you learn here, but a different name, because “penguin” or “tsunami” don’t do it for you in THIS ONE kanji? then you’ll have to work extra hard, because it’s not compatible with all the other WK stories anymore.

and i’m done with this now. do whatever works for you. typing all this shit out for something simplistic like what i had to say just isn’t worth the time. heck, not even the calories burnt by hitting the keys.

1 Like

If you’ve learned the radical as fire, then just add fire as a synonym for that radical and use it as “fire” in your own mnemonics? I don’t see what your point is at all. Learn names for radicals, it doesn’t matter what they’re called as long as you use it consistently to make mnemonics for the kanji. If you kept changing the meaning from one to another it’d be a problem but I really don’t see why you think coming up with your own mnemonics is such a huge burden? Or why you think that would mean I’m having to use different names for radicals for each individual kanji? I literally have no idea what your issue is here.

Edit: for the radicals to work you have to use them, you can’t just rename it for one kanji to conveniently fit your story on that one kanji or it defeats the purpose of using radicals in the first place… I mean you can do what you want, it makes no difference to me, I was originally contending that the “mnemonics are worthless” argument I’ve seen around is ignorant and it’s harmful to propagate it, in my opinion.

yeah i’m using this, too, plus the heisig radicals from when i used to do those. but only when the WK ones don’t stick and i’m reasonably desperate - and then, the next step would be to just drill em till they stick :wink:

My argument here: using the standard 礻 and 衤 radicals or just making up your own is way more fruitful than using WaniKani’s, across all the kanji. There are places where WaniKani is better, but you picked the one of worst possible examples.

If I see a new kanji, and the main radical is clearly related conceptually to the meaning, and the phonetic element is one I know, and I have a word that goes well with it, then I wouldn’t bother with a mnemonic.

If something is missing from that equation, then I often do make mnemonics.

1 Like

but you see, it doesn’t matter AT ALL which radical it is.

you got a story made up of keywords. you dont like 1 keyword, replace it with an alternative. if you’ve been doing it all along and are consistent, it’s routine, but if you half-ass it, it causes more work than it’s worth.

the point being that all WK stories will have “fins” regardless and i’ll have to rewrite them every time, because fire and fins are not exactly replaceable.

“the fish moved it’s fires quickly”

do you understand what i’m trying to say, or am i just that terrible at explaining myself today? :smiley:

1 Like

WaniKani is the inconsistent one here.

Yes. Every single one of those should be rewritten.

that’s what i mean with “more effort than it’s worth for me”.
most of the WK stories work fine, some do not, and instead of rewriting them all, i add a damn card to quizlet in 1 minute and drill that the next 2-3 days, 10 times a day, which costs like 2 seconds each every time. can do it on the toilet.

When I started with WK I didn’t bother with them. However after getting to about level 15 I found it harder to remember the Kanji I had learnt a few months back. I now use the mnemonics and it does help. I generally only use them for the Kanji though

Did you learn that as fire from elsewhere? The bird is taught as an entire radical not as fins. Either way I use some wanikani mnemonics but I haven’t changed the radical meanings (aside from drawer, 母, because that should be mother in the first place). Either way that will only be a problem for someone who learned radicals from elsewhere and it shouldn’t be hard to make your own mnemonics there either? Why is it harder or slower?

yeah there’s various fire variations. 炎、秋、鳥 and so on.

It’s a modification of the fire radical the bottom position. Not on WK, but in standard dictionary radicals.

The Japanese name is れっか or れんが (連火 literally, connected fire)

1 Like

^ This.
(10 characters)

That doesn’t really change the fact that making a mnemonic from the radicals taught on wanikani isn’t harder or easier than making a mnemonic from the radicals as you know them separately… Each to their own etc, I regret having participated.

It’s not really a fire in there, it’s the poor things feet :slight_smile:

It’s not considered a radical there (and the strokes are a bit different), stuff like 馬 as well.

Edit: if you want to burn a bird there is still 焦.

2 Likes

Similar elements do occasionally get clumped into the same radical.

(And yes, the dictionary radical for 鳥 is 鳥, not れんが)

2 Likes

no, it doesn’t, and in some cases, it might work out. but when it’s not the story that sucks for you, but the radicals as such, then you’re in a world of pain for the reasons i stated.

i’m using the “taskmaster” instead of “winter”, when the winter story fails, because that’s one of the heisig ones, for example.
i’m flexible.
but in the end, i do use mnemonics most of the time, and when i do, it’s a WK one most of that time.

or i don’t, there’s always that one asshole in the queue that needs the driller to the face, for me. it works for me. :wink:

god i must have lost 5 kilograms in this one thread, from only typing so much :smiley:

If I want to use five different meanings for a radical to fit some random story I come up with, I absolutely will. I like the “cloak” and “altar” radicals from RTK, but if for some reason I want to use “pelican” or “pelican with a spike on it” for a single story, I will have an exception for a single story. Maybe I can make some really stupid pun because there’s the Katakana ネ in there, so “nay” could be a mnemonic too.

It’s more useful IMO to allow multiple readings for a radical if the stories end up more memorable. I’m trying to remember the Kanji, not the radicals. Or at least not as much.

1 Like

yes it is, and nobody stated anything else.

what i was talking about was the fallout of replacing radical names completely.
changing a name for one kanji or writing a custom mnemonic, or remembering it clearly because the second you learned it, a fat spider fell on your keyboard, all that doesn’t matter at ALL.

that’s what i’ve been saying, hehe. but my english might suck today. i won’t blame anyone