Do you remember the number of strokes? Do you use SKIP? -- My solution was created, plus stroke orders

Do you remember the number of strokes? Do you search by SKIP code?

Also, what about multiple radical Kanji input?

If you do, how do you remember the number of strokes – for faster searching?

I was grown up not using OCR properly, sorry. Writing Kanji in Kanji dictionary by hand sometimes is not working.

/////
Edit: I now create Anki decks with stroke orders:
Based on Jisho.org, I created Anki decks to remember “Stroke count”, for my personal use. Total 252 cards.

There will be stroke orders with appropriate font / in Anki version.

Spreadsheet version: Kanji by stroke count - Google Sheets
Anki version: Dropbox - Jisho-strokes.apkg - Simplify your life
Sample:

Anki settings: 1 10 240 480 1440 4320 (Almost similar to WaniKani), with the tag: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8-10, 11-17, to aid in creating filtered deck.

//↓I’ve decided that to do this one below might pointless, though.

I also created an official radicals’ version, totaling 2192 cards, but I won’t do that one yet. It is way too large. Also tagged by a group of about 40-200 cards each.
Anki: Dropbox - Official-radical-strokes.apkg - Simplify your life

What? I don’t think anyone remembers number of strokes; why would you do that?

For being faster at typing an unknown Kanji, with unknown reading.

Neither…Google OCR is OP. Though I saw someone mention KanjiTomo in another thread, so I downloaded that and think it’ll be useful for various things for sure.

i dont remember the number of strokes necessarily, but if i see a kanji i can go through the stroke order and count them. i use skip sometimes but sometimes i miscount the number of strokes and then its a pain

Using a paperback Kanji dictionary a lot might be bigger pain.

Articles from Tofugu that I found by searching “kanji.” Ordered by most relevant.

1. How to guess a Kanji’s stroke order
  2. How to look up and read kanji you don’t know
  3. Skritter: a great way to great practice kanji, stroke order
  4. How to find the kanji radical

All articles written by Koichi, except the last one.

1 Like

I was really into SKIP until the radicals from WK really began sticking. Now when I do reviews I think of radicals instead of SKIP because I will and do write them by hand. It helps me remember the overall form more.

As for searching, I just look up the radicals and I guess I count the strokes in my head. I don’t memorize them. OH! I’ll write the character by hand in the air to help me count the strokes. __φ(..)

Sameish as @ShotgunLagoon + radicals (I started my Japanese adventure with RTK, so breaking kanji down into components is my first instinct) (It also makes it easier to guess at stroke count if I have to, incidentally).

That dictionary is a blessing, honestly. If I’m VERY stumped, though, or if I’m trying to read a character written with handwriting I can’t confidently parse enough to recreate it/guess at the component, then I go to this wiki page here after guesstimating a rough stroke count and start hunting. Actually works pretty well. I’m usually accurate to within one stroke, and since I’m looking for a particular structure it narrows down what I’m looking at very quickly.

I definitely don’t use SKIP. It looks terrifying.

Yeah, I see no reason to memorize kanji stroke numbers, you can tell by looking at it if you know how to follow kanji writing rules.

Based on Jisho.org, I created Anki decks to remember “Stroke count”, for my personal use. Total 252 cards.

Spreadsheet version: Kanji by stroke count - Google Sheets
Anki version: Dropbox - Jisho-strokes.apkg - Simplify your life
Sample:

Anki settings: 1 10 240 480 1440 4320 (Almost similar to WaniKani), with the tag: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8-10, 11-17, to aid in creating filtered deck.

//↓I’ve decided that to do this one below might pointless, though.

I also created an official radicals’ version, totaling 2192 cards, but I won’t do that one yet. It is way too large. Also tagged by a group of about 40-200 cards each.
Anki: Dropbox - Official-radical-strokes.apkg - Simplify your life

1 Like

That’s a lot of cards. It would be useful to remember the stroke order, it would help you write.

Writing kanji has a fluidity to it that English doesn’t. I have practiced writing kanji calligraphy with large brush strokes before and it is very relaxing… but difficult!

This is from a famous caligrapher.

I noticed in your browser tabs the article List of kanji by concept. This is a really interesting way of organising kanji. I have always liked that kanji seem to represent concepts, I find the ambiguity more comforting.

2 Likes

very nice! thank you for pointing out.
haha those counters, even one for tatami mats :stuck_out_tongue:

would you mind showing us some of your calligraphy? I’m really interested!

and what does it say in the one you uploaded?

Last time I practiced was a long time ago! I hadn’t started WaniKani then. Sadly I don’t have any remaining pictures of it. I certainly want to pick up calligraphy again.

I was thinking of buying a 筆ペン [ふでペン] (brush pen) and some 原稿用紙 [げんこうようし] (draft paper) and write each new kanji I learn a few times. It would be very time consuming.

It says “別無工夫”, meaning “no spiritual meaning,” supposedly. I don’t see it.

__φ(..)

This is the cutest thing I have ever seen I can’t. I can’t. Omg.

1 Like

Yay! I’m happy it helped spread some cheer (ノ´ヮ`)ノ*: ・゚
Kaomoji forever~

2 Likes