Diving into Kaniwani, 500 reviews!

I get most of them wrong so basically I have little chance of catching up. Any tips?  

What is “most” of them? I have a close to 2000 review backlog on KW at the moment. Every few days I do 200 or so and get about 80% right, which is terrible compared to my WK numbers. It’s not a real priority for me though at the moment.

I use that site very sporadically. It is useful but, same as you, my percentages are awful. I don’t sweat it, though: since your levelling is done on WK, it’s not like you need to keep your review queue down on Kaniwani. What’s more important to me is being able to recall words when I’m talking or writing and I find one real life experience of me stammering as I try to spit the word out reinforces things ten times better than any SRS.

IIRC you can go to the vocabulary tab and relock some levels if you feel like it’s too much.

I also make the mnemonics from English to Japanese. I care only about sound whether or not it is a correct Kanji.

Sadly, KaniWani cannot be typed in mnemonic, so I retired from KaniWani; and use wanikanitoanki instead. I also make a box for synonyms, which I can add or delete.

for reverse exercise im using memrise version of wanikani reverse vocab、i don’t know who create those memrise course、but it have very clear female audio better than WK originally provided〜 so it more pleasant for use〜

im use kanaiwani only when free、not on top priority〜 only 461 item piled up〜

Set it to review only burnt items and forget about it a while

Unlocking 500 items in one go? In a few weeks/months from now,

… (multiple times).

Only unlocking level one at the beginning and then one more batch everytime you level up on WK seems more reasonable to me.

Misread the OP… sorry

Hi, some good tips, thanks!

Starker said... IIRC you can go to the vocabulary tab and relock some levels if you feel like it's too much.
 Ah, 42 reviews! Much better! 

I just did level one, got quite a few wrong, but this is manageable, should get them all guru'd in a few days and maybe gradually catch up or at least keep pace a few levels behind. 
Leebo said... What is "most" of them? I have a close to 2000 review backlog on KW at the moment. Every few days I do 200 or so and get about 80% right, which is terrible compared to my WK numbers. It's not a real priority for me though at the moment.
 Not sure because I've never done many, maybe 50%.  I just did level one after locking the others as per this thread, and got 15 wrong out of 45 so not too bad. I feel like I'm learning a lot doing it this way round, like how to actually speak Japanese. Of course the kanji don't come into it so much on this app. 
patarapolw said... I also make the mnemonics from English to Japanese. I care only about sound whether or not it is a correct Kanji.

Sadly, KaniWani cannot be typed in mnemonic, so I retired from KaniWani; and use wanikanitoanki instead. I also make a box for synonyms, which I can add or delete.
 Can't seem to figure out how to do that. I got all sorts of weird results. First time front was same as back and both had question and answer, second time back said 'vocabulary'.  I'm not an expert on Anki. I would like to write mnemonics though. 
minamixdrops said... for reverse exercise im using memrise version of wanikani reverse vocab、i don't know who create those memrise course、but it have very clear female audio better than WK originally provided〜 so it more pleasant for use〜

im use kanaiwani only when free、not on top priority〜 only 461 item piled up〜
 I like Memrise so I'll take a look, thanks!
riccyjay said... I use that site very sporadically. It is useful but, same as you, my percentages are awful. I don't sweat it, though: since your levelling is done on WK, it's not like you need to keep your review queue down on Kaniwani. What's more important to me is being able to recall words when I'm talking or writing and I find one real life experience of me stammering as I try to spit the word out reinforces things ten times better than any SRS.
 When I talk with my tutor on Skype forget half the stuff I think I know, yeah! But as you say it does help get some words in long term memory. I think Kaniwani is halfway there though, halfway to being like trying to speak Japanese I mean. 

Do your reviews in short batches and then take a short break. Continue until you finish all your reviews. I usually do batches of 50 with 5 minute breaks.

Franken said...
patarapolw said... I also make the mnemonics from English to Japanese. I care only about sound whether or not it is a correct Kanji.

Can't seem to figure out how to do that. I got all sorts of weird results. First time front was same as back and both had question and answer, second time back said 'vocabulary'.  I'm not an expert on Anki. I would like to write mnemonics though. 
 If you are interested in Anki, follow the instructions here, which is probably the easiest way to add a field. https://wanikanitoanki.com/docs

Another source I learnt is from Hinekidori's post topic somewhere /t/AnkiWaniKani/7636/1 --> there is a link to youtube to learn how to use Anki. video

The rest is just about html and css.
patarapolw said...
Franken said...

If you are interested in Anki, follow the instructions here, which is probably the easiest way to add a field. https://wanikanitoanki.com/docs

Another source I learnt is from Hinekidori's post topic somewhere /t/AnkiWaniKani/7636/1 --> there is a link to youtube to learn how to use Anki. video

The rest is just about html and css.
 Thanks, I'll take a look.
michaeltran9393 said... Do your reviews in short batches and then take a short break. Continue until you finish all your reviews. I usually do batches of 50 with 5 minute breaks.
 Hmm, I've been doing 5 with 50 minute breaks, could be where I'm going wrong!

I was at level 11 and resumed two weeks ago after almost a year of absence. I had 1600 reviews in my queue. What I did is read all the words during the first 5 days, I managed to revise 2 to 3 levels per day this way, without doing any review, just reading and browsing through the list on the Wanikani individual level pages. The Wanikani website is perfectly laid out for doing reviews at a glance. After 5 days, I digged in and started the reviews, which I manage to finish in 2 days (I did 700 the first day, 900 the second). It was tough, I spent probably about 6-8 hours per day on Wanikani, I had to re-read a lot of the explanations and my stats were terrible. After about 10 days, I started new lessons again and I’m about to finally get to level 12, hopefully tonight. It took 2 weeks and a lot of efforts and dedication to get back into the game. Now I better not quit, it’s too discouraging to start again if I do. I get about 200 or 300 reviews a day at the moment, I don’t think it will settle down anytime soon, but I’ve got some free time at the moment so that was now or never. I’d advise you to really make a push for it, 500 reviews in one day is perfectly doable. Go otaku for a weekend, isolate yourself  and get to the bottom of it and promise yourself you won’t let this happen again :slight_smile: がんばって!

1 Like