Display notes on failure / skip faster on success?

Quite new to WaniKani - I hung off for ages because it’s not comfortable to use on mobile and my old laptop was too slow to even bother turning on for kanji practice! :expressionless: A couple of first impressions:

Quite a few times already I’ve been ‘held back’ on a kanji because I got it wrong and pressed Enter before remembering to manually open the notes and check the correct answer. Then when the same question was asked again, I still had to pass. Why doesn’t the helpful info automatically display when you get a question wrong? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Second: partly why I’ve been skipping prematurely - I’ve already been conditioned to bash the Enter button twice in quick succession after every question to get onto the next one a little faster. Why isn’t once enough if the answer was right?! It used to be like this on Memrise and it drove me mad there as well. :anguished:

Other than that, WaniKani is by far the best training resource for Japanese reading skills that I’ve come across. Go WaniKani!

Sometimes I get a wrong answer because of a typo, so I’ll use the ignore answer button and type again. If it showed me the notes automatically, I’d see the correct answer before typing it in, which would be cheating.

Sometimes I have trouble remembering an item but still get it right. Then I’ll stop and check the example sentences and synonyms. Sometimes I get it right but the message of “this word has more than one meaning” pops up and I decide to check the synonyms as well.

Hmm… I didn’t know about the ignore answer button! Been caught out by typos (or mistaking kanji for vocab reading) too.

There’s a script for this.

The ignore answer button comes from another user script. (It’s also included on at least some WaniKani mobile apps.)

Good news! There are userscripts for each of your complaints. (I also added my two cents on each in the spoilers)

Script to automatically display info when you get a question wrong : WaniKani Review Wrong Info Click (as already provided above by @gzovak)

I don’t like to use this one because when I answer incorrectly, I like to make myself think about what the correct answer is before checking it in the item info

Script for preventing you from automatically skipping past a wrong answer due to bashing the enter button : Wanikani Mistake Delay 1.0.3 (Block 'Enter' for 1s if answer is wrong) [No longer supported]

I use this one. It really does help as I, too, am an enter button basher.

Script for automatic pass to next question if you answer correctly : [UserScript] WaniKani Lightning Mode

I don’t like to use this one because a lot of the kanji/vocab have synonyms and sometimes I like to look at what those are before moving on to the next review item

I hope this helps you enjoy WaniKani more. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.