Display notes on failure / skip faster on success?

Quite new to WaniKani - I hung off for ages because it’s not comfortable to use on mobile and my old laptop was too slow to even bother turning on for kanji practice! :expressionless: A couple of first impressions:

Quite a few times already I’ve been ‘held back’ on a kanji because I got it wrong and pressed Enter before remembering to manually open the notes and check the correct answer. Then when the same question was asked again, I still had to pass. Why doesn’t the helpful info automatically display when you get a question wrong? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Second: partly why I’ve been skipping prematurely - I’ve already been conditioned to bash the Enter button twice in quick succession after every question to get onto the next one a little faster. Why isn’t once enough if the answer was right?! It used to be like this on Memrise and it drove me mad there as well. :anguished:

Other than that, WaniKani is by far the best training resource for Japanese reading skills that I’ve come across. Go WaniKani!

Sometimes I get a wrong answer because of a typo, so I’ll use the ignore answer button and type again. If it showed me the notes automatically, I’d see the correct answer before typing it in, which would be cheating.

Sometimes I have trouble remembering an item but still get it right. Then I’ll stop and check the example sentences and synonyms. Sometimes I get it right but the message of “this word has more than one meaning” pops up and I decide to check the synonyms as well.

Hmm… I didn’t know about the ignore answer button! Been caught out by typos (or mistaking kanji for vocab reading) too.

There’s a script for this.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4749-wanikani-review-wrong-info-click

The ignore answer button comes from another user script. (It’s also included on at least some WaniKani mobile apps.)

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9867-wanikani-override

Good news! There are userscripts for each of your complaints. (I also added my two cents on each in the spoilers)

Script to automatically display info when you get a question wrong : https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4749-wanikani-review-wrong-info-click (as already provided above by @gzovak)

I don’t like to use this one because when I answer incorrectly, I like to make myself think about what the correct answer is before checking it in the item info

Script for preventing you from automatically skipping past a wrong answer due to bashing the enter button : Wanikani Mistake Delay 1.0.3 (Block 'Enter' for 1s if answer is wrong) [No longer supported]

I use this one. It really does help as I, too, am an enter button basher.

Script for automatic pass to next question if you answer correctly : [UserScript] WaniKani Lightning Mode

I don’t like to use this one because a lot of the kanji/vocab have synonyms and sometimes I like to look at what those are before moving on to the next review item

I hope this helps you enjoy WaniKani more. :slight_smile: