DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

botolo said... I love this tool. It is shocking to see how few words I can recall! I have one question and one suggestion.
  • when I get an answer wrong, please display the correct kanji and hiragana right away. Having to click on two different buttons breaks the flow of my reviews;
  • what happens when I get an answer wrong? do I downgrade as I do in wanikani?
Thanks!
 If you press F on your keyboard, it will show both answers and you won't have to click.
mariedleclerc said...
botolo said... I love this tool. It is shocking to see how few words I can recall! I have one question and one suggestion.
  • when I get an answer wrong, please display the correct kanji and hiragana right away. Having to click on two different buttons breaks the flow of my reviews;
  • what happens when I get an answer wrong? do I downgrade as I do in wanikani?
Thanks!
 If you press F on your keyboard, it will show both answers and you won't have to click.
 Oh fantastic, thanks a lot. Now don't tell me the same keyboard shortcut works also on Wanikani, you would have solved another big problem of mine.

OMG it works! Are there any other secret keyboard shortcuts?

Tadgh11 said.... Both of you can email me your usernames at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and I can wipe your accounts back to fresh if you so desire. 
WHOA That is so nice thanks so much! :D That is REALLY appreciated. Just sent my email! 
botolo said... OMG it works! Are there any other secret keyboard shortcuts?
You know there's like a little keyboard drawn in the right lower corner of your screen when you do the reviews in Wanikani? All the shortcuts are listed there.

As fore Kaniwani, they're written in the description of the OP ;)

This really is a fantastic tool to compliment WaniKani, look forward to using it. :slight_smile:

*edit Nevermind!

Great app btw. Using this to study my kanji writing.

Another request if it isn’t already on your list:

Allow users to see which level of the SRS each word is on.

This would help me know when I have cleared most of my “apprentice” queue and could unlock another earlier level!

A suggestion that I think will help to keep people motivated and will help the dev, is to let the users lock levels… because reviews can stack too much, and locking some levels back, get everything to a regular pace and slowly unlock them again is nice… I had to email the developer and ask him to send me back to 0, since i had no more control over my reviews :stuck_out_tongue:

amazing!!! I had the same problem (remembering the vocab learned), so this rocks!!!
thank you!!!

Update!  Update!  We want an update!!  I will keep shouting until the full potential of kaniwani is realized!!  Tadgh stop being a responsible adult that contributes to society while working like a mad man and quench our kaniwani thirst with an update over 4 months in the making.

Or, take your time and do it when you can…i just like giving you a hard time :slight_smile:

any source code available for this? I would like to take a look and maybe contribute :slight_smile:

dmitrim said... any source code available for this? I would like to take a look and maybe contribute :)
 It's closed at the moment, but if you're interested in contributing, ping me at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and we can chat. 

I’m having an issue doing the reviews right when they come up. It was working before, but I just tried and I keep getting two word reviews, then when I finish it tells me my next review is in something like 12 seconds.

Maybe add some bias to the review queue so that if a bunch are going to become available within a couple minutes of each other to wait until they all become available?

Jsor said... I'm having an issue doing the reviews right when they come up. It was working before, but I just tried and I keep getting two word reviews, then when I finish it tells me my next review is in something like 12 seconds.

Maybe add some bias to the review queue so that if a bunch are going to become available within a couple minutes of each other to wait until they all become available?
 Currently the SRS system runs every 15 minutes and updates all users. If left on its own, you will get reviews on every 15-minute mark. Unfortunately, the "next reviews in" actually grabs the closest review, and you're able to manually force the SRS system to run if you hit the little refresh button. At some point I will likely remove this button and just push "next reviews in" to the next 15-minute mark for consistency. 

I am not the sharpest tool in the box computerwise. What exactly is an API? I thought it was for developers or something like that? Do I need an API to do kaniwani? If so, how do I get one?

Thanks!!

Telmann said... I am not the sharpest tool in the box computerwise. What exactly is an API? I thought it was for developers or something like that? Do I need an API to do kaniwani? If so, how do I get one?

Thanks!!
 I can't give you an accurate definition, but if you go to settings in WaniKani you have the option of generating an API key. Do that, then copy and paste it where it is asked on KaniWani. And yes, you do need an API key to use KaniWani.
Telmann said... I am not the sharpest tool in the box computerwise. What exactly is an API? I thought it was for developers or something like that? Do I need an API to do kaniwani? If so, how do I get one?

Thanks!!
 API: Application-Programming-Interface
Or simply the API provides you with usable variables, functions etc to make coding easier.
This is usually used for systems like WK where the community should be able to create their own content/functions/apps/...

The API key, which can be found in the "account settings" or at the "API" page is used for the KaniWani (which is a website administrated by someone of our community) to know which userdata to use (aka the "api key" tells the system which user's data to refer to).

Technically if somebody has your API key they can mess up your progress etc, but I think every usercontent so far is safe to use and many to most are great to supplement your WK studies.
So just be cautious to not tell everybody your API key, but you don't have to worry about applications like KaniWani etc.

Here's a list of useful community content btw:
/t/The-New-And-Improved-List-Of-API-and-Third-Party-Apps/7694/1
RayderBlitz said...Technically if somebody has your API key they can mess up your progress etc, but I think every usercontent so far is safe to use and many to most are great to supplement your WK studies.
So just be cautious to not tell everybody your API key, but you don't have to worry about applications like KaniWani etc.
I'm not sure how kaniwani works - but if you login via an API key, that anyone can reuse, and not via a set account then yes.
If you speak about wanikani's progress, no, you cannot. The API is read-only.

It is safe to post your API key, but anyone can then read your custom notes/mnemonic stuff you've added and synonyms for your items, along with your normal progress - read, not edit.
tweetie said...

Thanks!!
 I can't give you an accurate definition, but if you go to settings in WaniKani you have the option of generating an API key. Do that, then copy and paste it where it is asked on KaniWani. And yes, you do need an API key to use KaniWani.
 Thanks Tweetie and other people who replied. Kaniwani is very useful I think!