DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

I’d like to report a minor issue. 
尾 (お)isn’t accepted as an answer for Tail. Instead, it accepts only 尻尾 (しっぽ) which technically I shouldn’t know until 2 levels later.

Thank you for all your work on KaniWani.

Whatever you guys do, don’t unlock all of your previous levels at once. I know you all probably wouldn’t do that anyway, but as a heads up, it’s irreversible. I learned this the hard way… :'^(

Todzik said... I'd like to report a minor issue. 
尾 (お)isn't accepted as an answer for Tail. Instead, it accepts only 尻尾 (しっぽ) which technically I shouldn't know until 2 levels later.

Thank you for all your work on KaniWani.

That's definitely a bug. It should accept either.

Edit: Fixed

V41 said... Whatever you guys do, don't unlock all of your previous levels at once. I know you all probably wouldn't do that anyway, but as a heads up, it's irreversible. I learned this the hard way... :'^(
 email me at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and I can re-lock your account. 

Since I use your website on a regular basis I just wanted to drop by and mention that if you need a helping hand with CSS and/or HTML I might be able to help you, since I have some (not really all too perfect but nevertheless) experience with those.
I should probably also warn you that I’m chaotic and probably not the person best suited for design (if it’s coming up with one at least).
Nevertheless, in case you’d like me to help out a little feel free to let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

Also, great website, I like it and will continue to use it (<– this part kinda feels like a deja vu). c(°_:_°)つ

great site, really usefull! :slight_smile:

Any chance you can make the site responsive to kanji input? I’m on a macbook that accepts trackpad-drawn kanji, so the ability to write out kanji in my answers would really help my writing practice.

Aleithian said... Any chance you can make the site responsive to kanji input? I'm on a macbook that accepts trackpad-drawn kanji, so the ability to write out kanji in my answers would really help my writing practice.
 One day....

It's on the list. It'll be done Soon™
Tadgh11 said...
Aleithian said... Any chance you can make the site responsive to kanji input? I'm on a macbook that accepts trackpad-drawn kanji, so the ability to write out kanji in my answers would really help my writing practice.
 One day....

Are you able to make the source public or share it with me if not go the whole hog? I can contriboot.
distantgrey said...
Tadgh11 said...
 One day....

Are you able to make the source public or share it with me if not go the whole hog? I can contriboot.
 Email me @ tadgh@cs.toronto.edu

Just started to use this today, it’s really helpful, now I can see that my English-Japanese recall is really bad, and practicing this should really help my Japanese-English skills because now I will be able to translate both ways, thanks for the site!

Tadgh11 said...
 One day....

Haha. Cool, thanks. :)

I can help out with the website design

My initial thought to this was that I wasn’t sure how it was going to help but I decided to give it a shot.

My current reaction:
Holy crap! Doing this in reverse is no joke! Stuff I would see and immediately know the answer seems so much harder to recall.

This is going to benefit me sooooo much! Kudos to you, sir!

Is there any indication somewhere of whether it wants kanji or vocabulary?

henrikp said... Is there any indication somewhere of whether it wants kanji or vocabulary?
 It's always vocabulary. 

Jasumin said... I can help out with the website design
 Email me @ tadgh@cs.toronto.edu

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, so I’m sorry if it was, but is there any word on if there’s an option to lock the current level and only start with vocab from the first level and work my way up from there? It makes more sense to me if there’s a way to start at Level 1 than Level 11.

But other than that, this is good stuff!

It came to my attention that words that share meanings (but in different order) seem to ignore user synonyms and never show them during the reviews.
It makes words like 検問する/検査する or 便所/お手洗い needlessly tedious to get right.

The app wouldn’t let me update to level 6 even thought that’s my current level. So I tried forcing it using your js scripts but that just made it so I was getting reviews with absolutely no readings defined.

MagmarFire said... Not sure if this has been mentioned before, so I'm sorry if it was, but is there any word on if there's an option to lock the current level and only start with vocab from the first level and work my way up from there? It makes more sense to me if there's a way to start at Level 1 than Level 11.

But other than that, this is good stuff!
 I agree with this.

I think it would be good to be able to have a mode where you can explicitly lock and unlock any level you have achieved. I just had my KW account deleted so I could re-create it. Optimally I would keep everything locked and just unlock one at a time starting at level 1, but for now I am just going to try to keep up with my current level for now and not unlock any older ones.

It’s really good work ! Thank you very much for this extra/useful/essential help for learning Japanese.