December 17 2021 Content Updates

This is the last round of updates for this year. The next post will be on January 7. See you all then! :wave::grinning:

Kanji

(44) - added ひつ as on’yomi.

(10) - added かしら as kun’yomi.

Vocabulary

助ける (8) - added “to be cut” to the block list.

電柱 (40) - added “utility pole” to allow list.

不機嫌 (22) - added “grumpy” as alternative meaning, moved “pout”, “displeasure”, “ill humor”, and “ill humour” to allow list, added “bad-tempered”, “cross”, “displeased”, and “bad temper” to allow list, replaced one context sentence, and added two context sentences.

代える (6) - added “to change something” to block list.

固い (14) - added “firm” as alternative meaning, moved “solid” to allow list, added “tight”, “tight-lipped”, and “certain” to allow list, and replaced context sentences.

堅い (42) - added “serious”, “upright”, and “hard” as alternative meanings, moved “hard” to allow list, added “firm”, “tight”, “stiff”, “stuffy”, and “formal” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

硬い (45) - added “firm” to alternative meanings and added two context sentences.

跳躍 (39) - added “jumping,” “leaping,” and “skipping” to allow list.

飛躍 (39) - added “leap” to allow list.

(35) - updated meaning explanation.

(60) - added それがし to reading allow list.

Transitive Verb Updates

伝える (11) - added “to transmit something”, “to tell something”, “to pass something down”, “to pass something along”, “to convey something”, “to give”, and “to give something” to allow list.

要求する (11) - added “transitive verb” to word types, added “to demand something” as primary meaning, moved “to demand” to allow list, and added “to require” and “to require something” to allow list.

落とす (12) - added “to let something fall” and “to lose something” as alternative meanings, moved “to drop”, “to fall”, and “to let fall” to allow list, added “to lose” “to fail” and “to fail something” to allow list, and updated one context sentence.

消す (12) - added “to extinguish something” as primary meaning, added “to erase something” and “to turn something off” as alternative meanings, moved “to extinguish”, “to erase”, and “to turn off” to allow list, added “to turn out” and “to turn something out” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

流す (12) - added “to flush something” as primary meaning, added “to pour something” and “to set something afloat” as alternative meanings, moved “to flow”, “to flush”, “to drain”, “to pour”, “to float”, “to wash away”, and “to set afloat” to allow list, added “to drain something”, “to float something” and “to wash something away” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

植える (12) - added “to plant something” as primary meaning, added “to grow something” as alternative meaning, and moved “to plant” and “to grow” to allow list.

歌う (12) - added “intransitive verb” to word types, and added “to sing something” to allow list.

着る (12) - added “to wear something” and “to put something on” to allow list.

育てる (13) - moved “to bring something up” and “to raise something” to allow list, and added “to bring someone up” and “to raise someone” to allow list.

選ぶ (13) - added “to choose something” to allow list.

感じる (13) - added “to feel something” to allow list.

養う (13) - added “to foster something”, “to foster someone”, “to raise something”, “to raise someone”, “to rear something”, and “to rear someone” to allow list.

温める (13) - added “to heat something up” as primary meaning, moved “to heat up” to allow list, and added “to heat something” to allow list.

手伝う (13) - moved “to give a hand” to allow list, and added “to help someone”, “to help something”, “to assist someone”, “to assist something”, and “to lend someone a hand” to allow list.

想像する (13) - added “transitive verb” to word types and added “to imagine something” to allow list.

殺す (13) - added “to kill something” and “to kill someone” to allow list.

見返る (13) added “to look back at something” and “to look back on something” to allow list.

飛ばす (22) - added “to let something fly” as primary meaning, added “to send something flying” and “to skip over something” as alternative meanings, moved “to let fly”, “to send flying”, and “to skip over” to allow list, added “to crack” and “to crack a joke” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

31 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

2 Likes

Thaaaanks, Jenny!

2 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! :grin:

2 Likes

always good to see updates in WK!

it motivates me to get out of hell levels as soon as I can :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you Jenny, much obliged.

1 Like

Thanks Jenny! Have a good break and happy new year!

1 Like

A couple of suggestions from words I encountered recently. 南極圏 accepts “arctic circle”, that should probably be on the block list. Also can you add “anglosphere” as a synonym for 英語圏?

3 Likes

TIL the difference between Antarctic and Arctic, and that Arctic circle = 北極圏. (+1 to the suggestion)

2 Likes

Can “taxes” be added to the allowlist for 税金(ぜいきん), @Mods ?

1 Like

I think we can make this happen :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you!

I’m not sure if this is the right place to request, but I found some more things I was hoping could please be blocked? For 澄ます, it wrongfully accepted “to climb” (because of “to clear”).
And I can’t quite remember what it was, but I think 叫ぶ accepted “to scold” or 叱る accepted “to shout,” I think? Maybe both. Either way, because they are in the same level and are similar enough in appearance and meaning to mix them up and get them falsely correct, would it be possible to block those wrong meanings (unless there happens to be some overlap that I’m misunderstanding)?
Thanks, @Mods!

1 Like

Hey BonusBread! Sure thing. I’ve now added “to climb” to the block list for 澄ます, “to scold” to the block list for 叫ぶ, and “to shout” for the block list for 叱る. Thanks!

3 Likes

@Mods, could “to be transferred”/“to be transfered” please be added to the block list for (つた)わる?

Also, 寄与(きよ) has romaji tofugu in its context sentence

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve added “arctic circle” to the block list for 南極圏, “taxes” to the allow list for 税金, and “to be transferred” to the block list for 伝わる.

2 Likes

Can “tasty” be added as a synonym for 旨い please?

Can you consider adding 企む? It’s a much more common word than 企てる so I feel it’d be a better candidate to teach for the kanji 企, but I understand teaching 2 kun’yomi for the same kanji might be too much.

2 Likes

@Mods could “direct flight(s)” be added to the allow list for 直航(ちょっこう) please?

2 Likes

@Mods the context sentence for ()える has romaji tofugu

The context sentence for ()まる currently reads

魚の骨が喉に詰まっちゃった。
I got a fish bone stuck in my throat.

May I recommend “I got a fish bone clogged in my throat,” to make the English more similar to the intention of the Japanese and the vocab meaning y’all want us to learn?

Could “to go extinct” please be considered for the allow list of ()える?