Dear WaniKani speed demons and level 60s, how do/did you do it?

I have a consistent schedule of 7 days per level, meaning that I do the same level of reviews every week at the same time. Essentially: new kanji & radicals Sunday evening, new vocab Monday evening, second set of new kanji Thursday morning, second set of new vocab Friday morning and repeat :slight_smile:

Re-order (prioritize radicals + kanji over vocab since I do vocab a day later), override, WK lightning mode, quiz mode script. I guess I use ultimate timeline too, but it’s more for fun than anything. I have the same schedule every week so I don’t really need it.

Mostly echoing prior sentiments, but I focused on three things:

1. Over 60% of Kanji are Keisei Moji (形声文字) meaning half the Kanji tells you the on’yomi and the other half vaguely represents the meaning. I ignore the meaning half, but the reading half saves a lot of time and effort remember a lot of Kanji readings. Note this mostly only works for on’yomis; if WK wants you to prioritize the kun’yomi you likely just have to memorize that
  2. Having very productive lesson times is key for me. When I learn Kanji, I immediately use the quiz mode script to test them 5x each. I also input them into an Anki deck where it prompts me with the reading and meaning, and I have to write out the Kanji. To escape “Learning” in this Anki deck I have to write out the Kanji 5 times further reinforcing my knowledge. Then completing the 4h and 8h reviews ASAP finalize the learning
  3. KaniWani is vital for me, and I take it further by writing out all the answers to KaniWani as opposed to typing. Recently I’ve been using Google Handwriting Input with a tablet+pen as a substitute to normal paper because it’s easier.
3 Likes

I do WK every single day

I have the reorder script to prioritize radicals & kanji first for lessons to maximize level up times

As you progress through WK, you get better at learning Japanese – it’s not as much of a mental strain to learn all these new words

Plus, supplementing WK with real-world practice (i.e. conversing with Japanese people on HelloTalk), plus seeing kanji in the wild by reading helps reinforce it and make it more likely to stay in your long-term memory :slight_smile:

The site has this built in now, if you wish it. Do you still need an external reorder script? Does it do something else?

The built in feature has only two options: “ascending level then subject” and “random”, so previous-level vocab will come before the radicals.

1 Like

Well the site prioritizes the previous level’s vocab so you have to clear those before getting the radicals and then kanji for the current level

1 Like

It has three options:

Ascending level then subject,
Ascending level then random,
and Full Random.

1 Like

Ah, okay, I see. I actually like clearing the previous level first, but that’s not for everyone :slight_smile: I also go slow enough that ‘previous levels vocab’ is only about 10 items. (I would probably actually prefer an ordering that prioritizes vocab over kanji, so that I’m reinforcing the Kanji I just gurued, but I’ve never been Team Speed Demon)

2 Likes

I’ve been doing about 8 days per level, with a few 7s in there and a couple 10s. I don’t use any scripts. I try to synchronize my level ups so I can do radical lessons as well as their 4 hour review in the same day. That way I can do their 8 hour review the next morning.

I do about 20-30 minutes of WK on the bus in the morning, about the same during lunch, and maybe 45 minutes at home. Since I work full time and have other hobbies, I only do about 1-5 hours of non-WK studying a week. My current goal is to reach level 30-ish so I can know enough basic kanji to read real material. Then I’m expecting to slow WK down a bit and focus more on other sources.

There are four “parts” to learn for each kanji: reading, meaning, radicals, and mnemonic. My goal when I first Guru a kanji is to have three of the four of those fully locked in. Then, I aggressively learn vocab to reinforce meaning (and reading when they match). When I can’t easily remember 3/4 pieces of a kanji, I look it up in Jisho to try to learn other details about it that can help me remember.

So it is. I’d never noticed.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.