Dear people who complain about post formatting issues when using those phone apps....... (HTML for dummies)

So I am writing this (on my phone) and wish to address the complaint I have seen people have that when they write a long post on the phone apps, they lose the formatting of line breaks and paragraphs, which can lead to the text losing it’s flow.

So let’s introduce some HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) which can help you to create lovely line paragraphs when using your phone.
So you take the triangular brackets “<>” and put some letters inside and you can end up with some lovely styles.

All commands (that I know from trialing) will be listed at the bottom of the post (without the triangular brackets)

By putting “h1” inside those brackets, you get a Heading, which you can end by putting /h1 inside those brackets at the end of a line of text.

And we go back to normal text. By putting “p” inside, the following text becomes a paragraph. It looks as though I am writing this on one line, however, this paragraph has every single word on a separate line. In order to achieve separate lines, we need to put

“br” inside of the brackets. Don’t forget to end your paragraphs with “/p”

And easier way of keeping line breaks (and spaces for that matter), you can use the “pre” tag.
                                      and                                      you                                       end
                                                            up                                     with                                           text
                                                                                    that                                     looks                                  like                                                                                     this. 
                                         and end it with “/pre”

For the formatting, we can use “b” to start a section of bold text; and end it with “/b” to go back to normal
We have the use of “i” to create italics, and obviously end it with “/i”                  
As far as I can tell, “strong” “/strong” and “em” “/em” can’t be used in WaniKani, only giving the same as bold and italics

The command “u” (or “ins”) provides us with underlined text, ended using “/u” (or “/ins”)

And so ends my little programming knowledge (ie how to format text using HTML)

List of commands (don’t include the quotation marks):

“h1” “/h1”                      - defines a heading
“p” “/p”                           - defines a paragraph (will ignore multiple spaces and line breaks)
“br”                                  -  creates a line break in a paragraph
“pre” “/pre”                  - creates a paragraph which keeps line breaks and spaces
“b” “/b”                          - creates bold text
“strong” “/strong”     - also creates bold text
“i” “/i”                            -  creates italicised text
“em” “/em”                  -  also creates italicised text
“u” “/u”                         - creates underlined text
“ins” “/ins”                   - also creates underlined text

Or just view the page in desktop mode :stuck_out_tongue:

Should be renamed “HTML for dummies” 

Love it. 

The one thing that still sucks on the phone is when 3000 things are quoted and you have to scroll for decades to get to the bottom. 

Edit: 

sirvorn said…Or just view the page in desktop mode :stuck_out_tongue:
 ^ also this

mahum said... Should be renamed "HTML for dummies" 

Love it. 

The one thing that still sucks on the phone is when 3000 things are quoted and you have to scroll for decades to get to the bottom. 

Edit: 
sirvorn said...Or just view the page in desktop mode :p
 ^ also this
 Indeed desktop mode is better, but for those who complain about the apps, and don't switch over to desktop mode, this thread is for them

What is the desktop mode? As far as I know, the page loads just loads on my smart phone like it always does on my laptop. I attributed the formatting errors to wonky smart phone keyboards and not-so-great mobile browsers.

<b>Do they work on a computer?</b>

EDIT: Nope

desktop mode?

I remember learning that stuff in high school. The class was not called HTML for dummies though.

emin said... desktop mode?
 If you use the chrome app in the menu at the top left, there is a button which reads "request desktop site", tap that and you get normal WK on your phone
emin said... desktop mode?
 For me, and many other people's phones it kinda ends up like this:

Normal view: http://i.imgur.com/XX1gi7i.jpg

Check off desktop mode: http://i.imgur.com/ebachKl.jpg

Get the editor: http://i.imgur.com/DAGttBM.jpg

That's where it is in chrome. And I was pretty sure safari and Firefox could do a similar thing :)
Crunderwood said... <b>Do they work on a computer?</b>

haha, I tried too. But then edited my post to hide my inability to HTML.
emin said...

I thought your <pre>

う</pre>

was nice

EDIT: also noticed that you are my next target Emin.....
Crunderwood said...
emin said...

I thought your <pre>

う</pre>

was nice

あ
 り
  が
   と
    う
ご
 ざ
  い
   ま
    す

What does that even mean? KOWAI!!!

emin said...
Crunderwood said...
emin said...

I thought your <pre>

う</pre>

was nice

あ り が と う ご ざ い ま す

Oooh. I forgot that I was in that list. Catch me if you can!!

Once I tried learning HTML but couldn’t grasp much… But what you just said was easy to understand and useful! Thanks!

Glad I could do something useful for a change :smiley:

Crunderwood said...
emin said...
Crunderwood said...
emin said...

I thought your <pre>

う</pre>

was nice

あ り が と う ご ざ い ま す

Is this like… most posts in WaniKani? I don’t know how to get to these things. 

Element404 said...
Crunderwood said...
emin said...
Crunderwood said...
emin said...

I thought your <pre>

う</pre>

was nice

あ り が と う ご ざ い ま す

Is this like… most posts in WaniKani? I don’t know how to get to these things. 
 Yes.

what the hay!? it actually accepts HTML input?
putting the default POST method of the website form aside, this implies I could write a plugin that replaces the WYSIWYG editor with a plaintext one that allows HTML!? I didn’t even realize the backend accepted HTML at all, or is the phone app formatting your HTML into forum shortcodes?