Color Coding Text and Changing Font in the Forum and in Furigana

Hello,
I did a search at the forum but couldn’t find the answer I’m looking for. I also googled without success.

We can write in bold and many other things, but how do you color text? It’s really useful when explaining things. I’ve tried the usual [color=blue][/color] tags but it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, you’re the best!!!

2 Likes

By the way, you seem tech savvy, can you explain to a neophyte why [color=x][/color] doesn’t work?

2 Likes

Mostly because Markdown (the tags indicated by the square brackets) doesn’t support colour.

5 Likes

Yes, I read that markdown doesn’t support color or font. What does the {x} use to display color then? I’m just really curious. I don’t know much about web code formats. I thought that if the forum was using the markdown format, it had to confirm to its limitations. Yet here there’s a way around with the curved brackets. Is that CSS? HTML? I googled what are curved brackets for in programming but couldn’t find an answer.

Is that a repository of other codes like the color code? Like changing font and so on?

2 Likes

Wait discourse supports LaTeX? I have no use for this but that’s pretty cool.

\text{That means} = \frac{\color{orange} you^{\color{black}can}}{\color{blue}\colorbox{red}{make horrors like this}}

I’m sorry. I won’t do that again. Probably.

@Zizka it’s a document/typesetting language. Think MS Word, but you write it like code.

11 Likes

So this a Discourse type of forum which supports Latex code.

Typing the color with Latex is pretty tedious though :disappointed_relieved: No change to do it differently I assume?

2 Likes

If you wanted a different way to use colors you’d have to request it on https://meta.discourse.org. WaniKani has no control over that.

In my opinion, allowing people to post in colors more easily seems like a good way to make the forums unpleasant to visit. People would very likely overuse it and make posts hard to read.

7 Likes

Not that I know of.

What are you planning to do with it anyway? It gets obnoxious pretty quickly.

1 Like

{\color{Orange}\colorbox{lime}{I'm sure I have no idea what you mean.}}

11 Likes

(I’ve modified the thread title).

Is it possible to change the font? I checked in the Latex document and when I try the code listed there, I get the following error:
\fontfamily{}\select

I assume the forum would need to have font packages installed in order to use them, correct?

2 Likes

Please don’t change fonts/colours :pray:

It mostly just makes it harder for people to read your posts. Even if you go for things that read nicely on your screen, others might have different coloured backgrounds/font packs/screen resolutions…you have no way of making it work for everyone (also let’s not forget accessibility issues like colour blindness).

It’s not like the basic options aren’t expressive enough anyway.

5 Likes

I understand your request and it’s a valid one. Just out of curiosity it’s still like to know how however.

3 Likes

Specifically, the forums supports both a light and dark theme. Most manually specified colors would clash with one or the other.

Rather, I think each individual would have to have the font / font family installed on their computer. Yet another reason not to do stuff like that.

3 Likes

I don’t know in this particular case, but there’s a bunch of stuff that’s not supported, probably for the sake of security and page load times.
LaTeX is quite heavy compared to the usual markdowns. Probably best to avoid it unless you really really want to show an equation.

The \textrm{basic} \textsf{three} \texttt{fonts} seem to be supported though.

4 Likes

I had to quote your message but I reversed engineered how to use different fonts, thanks!

3 Likes

Basically, I agree that color coding can easily be misused and can make a text hard to read, but it’s a cool feature nevertheless.

1 Like

I was lurking on your reading thread and this looks like it might be a more appropriate place to offer some totally unsolicited advice :grin:

You can use the hash symbol to more quickly indicate headers - so #, ## and ### give you h1, h2 and h3 just by typing them at the start of a line:

## header 2

If people do use the spoiler tag, you can reply to their post, click ‘quote whole post’, and then you can copy and paste their text directly. Obviously that’s a pain, but thought it might be helpful to know.

If people want to hide spoilers without using the spoiler tag, I’d recommend using the drop-down “details” tag, like so:

[details=“spoilers!”]

write spoilers here

[/details]

Also I saw somebody mentioning furigana - you can use <ruby><rb>kanji here</rb><rt>furigana here</rt></ruby>, but there’s also a script that lets you do it less painfully.

5 Likes

Regarding the furigana script, is there a way to implement it on iPad? Because typing that code and switching IME to write it is the opposite of convenient. I’ll yet again edit my title.

2 Likes

You cannot use scripts on iPad.

2 Likes