Dear people who complain about post formatting issues when using those phone apps....... (HTML for dummies)

horusscope said... what the hay!? it actually accepts HTML input?
putting the default POST method of the website form aside, this implies I could write a plugin that replaces the WYSIWYG editor with a plaintext one that allows HTML!? I didn't even realize the backend accepted HTML _at all_, or is the phone app formatting your HTML into forum shortcodes?
 Yes, but there is heavy filtering in both the backend and client-side.  I've used "inspect element" and "edit as html" to fix the mangled results of the daft wysiwyg before, and it's like arm-wrestling a polar bear.  You might outsmart it eventually, but you probably won't be the same person afterward.

Typing HTML on my phone is the last thing I feel like doing. I do enough of it editing my anki cards. People will have to just put up with my unformatted wordpoop.

I’ve saved all the commands to the clipboard on my phone, which allows me to do

that

rfindley said...
putting the default POST method of the website form aside, this implies I could write a plugin that replaces the WYSIWYG editor with a plaintext one that allows HTML!? I didn't even realize the backend accepted HTML _at all_, or is the phone app formatting your HTML into forum shortcodes?
 Yes, but there is heavy filtering in both the backend and client-side.  I've used "inspect element" and "edit as html" to fix the mangled results of the daft wysiwyg before, and it's like arm-wrestling a polar bear.  You might outsmart it eventually, but you probably won't be the same person afterward.
 being able to insert pre element is the appealing factor tbh lol
horusscope said...
rfindley said...
 being able to insert pre element is the appealing factor tbh lol
 Even <pre> is painful at times. Sometimes it works fine, other times it's like playing some kind of sadistic mind game.  I haven't figured out the pattern yet, but suspect it may have something to do with end-of-line characters (CRLF vs just LF).

Hey Crunderwood, I know my basic HTML, so skipped most of your post (sorry). Are you saying that HTML works in the forum (on mobile, at least?) If so, that’s so handy to know, and I can use all kind of  "<br>"s to format my posts and not feel like a slob! Hooray!

Crunderwood said... <b>Do they work on a computer?</b>

EDIT: Nope
 I knew this already... Which is why your HTML discovery on mobile is a goldmine!
AnimeCanuck said...
Crunderwood said... <b>Do they work on a computer?</b>

EDIT: Nope
 I knew this already... Which is why your HTML discovery on mobile is a goldmine!
 I have been using HTML commands on my phone since I got the app, which is why I think I've only done two or three posts as block text. 

Practice was achieved by editing old posts in active threads (so there was no resurrections happening) and working out what each of the commands should do. 
My next aim is to use the quote button on the apps....
Crunderwood said...
mahum said... Should be renamed "HTML for dummies" 

Love it. 

The one thing that still sucks on the phone is when 3000 things are quoted and you have to scroll for decades to get to the bottom. 

Edit: 
sirvorn said...Or just view the page in desktop mode :p
 ^ also this
 Indeed desktop mode is better, but for those who complain about the apps, and don't switch over to desktop mode, this thread is for them
 I've not ever noticed the Desktop Mode button at the bottom of the WK page! Is it there?
If not, I do have a button in mobile chrome that attempts to force any webpage to be the desktop mode...

The button in chrome which forces desktop mode sorts out all the formatting issues