Cultures of the world be like (Now with essay on how to say you in Telugu!)

me: goodness gracious, why is social norms in japan so confusing? there’s literally five hundred ways to say “girl”

also me: (literally writes an essay on how to say “you” in telugu)

3 Likes

any weird parts of social life in your culture, guys?

2 Likes

here’s the essay on how to say “you” in telugu, btw:

now, there are two ways to say you. the casual one is “nuvvu” while the more formal one is “meeru”. “meeru” can also be used to refer to more than one person. like, when you’re asking a group of people “who are you?” you’d use “meeru”. when talking to one of your grandparents or someone who should be treated with respect, you would use “meeru” to ask “how are you?” and with friends or anyone who you have a casual relationship with, you would use “nuvvu”.

this essay excludes yours (niidi—casual, miidi—formal, plural), by the way

however, when using the casual you, nuvvu, you don’t need to use it all the time. let’s use “what are you doing?” as a context sentence. google translate will give “nuvvu enti chestunaavu?” nuvvu—you, enti—what, chestunaavu—you doing.

(actually, it gives “nuvvem chestunaavu?” but i will simplify it.)

however, you do not need to use you here, as “chestunaavu” is “you doing” and not just “doing”.

when using the formal “meeru” (not the plural meeru), you should use it in a sentence. the casual “what are you doing?” is “enti chestunaavu?” (remember, we didn’t need to use nuvvu there). the formal one (and by extension, the plural one, but we’re not talking about that) is “meeru enti chestunaaru?” (the vu is changed to ru to imply respect). just plain “em chestunaaru?” is a little too casual. i think you should use it when you have a good relationship with the person, like your grandparents, but you’re still supposed to treat them with respect.

also, you can use you to get attention. if someone is doing something sneaky and you walk in on them, you can say “nuvvu enti chestunaavu?” the extra “nuvvu” can call attention to them. say in angry voice for added threateningness. or if you walk in on two people doing something sneaky, say “meeru enti chestunaaru?” (the vu is changed to ru only because you are referring to two people, not out of respect.)

one more thing: for all of these context sentences, i gave you the purest version to simplify it. nobody says “meeru enti chestunaavu?” they will simplify it to “meerem chestunaaru?” but that would make things very confusing so…

that is all. telugu itself isn’t exactly difficult (not easy, but certainly much simpler than japanese) but the social culture can be difficult to understand. it takes time!

5 Likes

I’m British, so all of it.

3 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.