Communication and Dialogue Practice Group

Communication and Dialogue Practice Group

So, I have been trying to think of an idea that would allow people to practice speaking and grammar. I know however, it is difficult to get people together to speak in a timely manner. People are on very different schedules and speaking in a group is just not really possible unless everyone has the same schedule opening. So, I think that just typing dialogue would still be a good way to practice and reinforce dialogue and grammar. You can still read aloud at home and get the speaking practice.

This is going to start with a very low beginner conversational dialogue and build up over time. This is probably not for advanced speakers unless they would like to join. It allows people of any level to learn and grow their knowledge in Japanese conversation.

With that said it would require a commitment of time to at least five days a week for about a month. This is to benefit the user and partner. If it is not a reasonable commitment, there is no pressure on joining. This is just for people who are seriously looking to improve their Japanese.

I am open to feedback and suggestions so, if you have any feel free to let me know. With that said if there are people up to be a part of this group please let me know. Once, we have enough pairs of people I will start with the daily activities.

About / Rules:
I will present each day with a simple plug in structure of questions and responses. Group members will use the sentence structure to create their own dialogue with their partner.

Ex.
Store/Shop/Event wa time kara desu (open from)
Store/Shop/Event wa time made desu (stay open until)

Topic wa time desu

A : Ima nan-ji desu ka?
B : Ima 5-ji (go-ji) desu.
A : What time is it now?
B : It’s 5 o’clock now.

A : Ginkoo wa nan-ji kara desu ka?
B : Ginkoo wa 9-ji (ku-ji) kara desu.
A : What time does a bank open?
B : It opens at 9:00.

A : Ginkoo wa nan-ji made desu ka?
B : Ginkoo wa 3-ji (san-ji) made desu.
A : What time does a bank close?
B : It closes at 3:00.

A : Kaigi wa nan-yoobi desu ka?
B : Kaigi wa kin-yoobi desu.
A : What day is the meeting?
B : It’s on Friday.

1 month intervals / commitment

Partner for 1 week then switch or 1 month still deciding

(Types of Daily activity)
-Standard questions-
Each person must type…

3 questions

3 answers each question

Questions must presented in Romaji or Kana / Kanji

Answers presented in Romaji or Kana / Kanji

After responses to questions are made, you must translate what your partner has said into English.

Once, both have translated each other’s responses, the daily task of communication will be completed.

-Diagram Questions-

An image will be presented, which will direct people on how to ask questions. For example, items may be placed in the picture and people will be either close or far from them. Then people must be able to ask and answer about items using Kore, Sore, or Are / Kono, Sono, or Ano. Koko, Soko, or Asoko. All depending on image and what is known about the picture. This format can also be used for directional dialogue. All depends on topic of the day.

Each person must type…
3 questions

3 answers each question

Questions must presented in Romaji or Kana / Kanji

Answers presented in Romaji or Kana / Kanji

After responses to questions are made, you must translate what your partner has said into English.

Once, both have translated each other’s responses, the daily task of communication will be completed.

If this is just a bad idea let me know that too. I would not want to waste anyone’s time. I`m hoping some people can find the value in having a place to practice dialogue even if it is through typing. I think personally it will still help with learning. Although, I could be wrong. Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts.

Confirmations:
Kayleigh-K
Quinis
Ludovica
Aemaeth
Tae_tea
lucon1
Aifos
Ukaiji

3 Likes

First suggestion: ban romaji. It’s not particularly useful for the Japanese learner.

Also, natural conversation usually doesn’t repeat the topic in every sentence. For example, 会議は何曜日ですか would typically be answered with just 金曜日です

17 Likes

Ahh I see. Yes I don’t think it’s useful for romaji to be used long run. I just was not sure if people all have the capability to type in Japanese.

Again your correct. The topic is often omitted if it is understood already. It was just an exaggerated example. However, future conversations would have it omitted.

Thank you for your feedback.

I agree with ditching romanji, but having a place to chat in beginner Japanese is a brilliant idea.

Surely someone could just set up a discord channel and it could be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for anyone to come along and chat. Divide it up into levels, and bingo, you’ve got it!

I’m surprised it doesn’t already exist. It must do!

1 Like

Hmmm not a bad thought. I’m not really familiar with discord as much as others. If there is a channel that exists I’d for sure like to know or if anyone knows about how to go about setting it up for use.

Thank you for your feedback!

1 Like

A nice low-pressure place to practice sounds like a pretty good idea.

2 Likes

There’s Japanese chat on @Darcinon ‘s server on Discord, though I’d prefer use this forum.

2 Likes

I’m up for this, I could definitely use the practice.

1 Like

This is such an interesting idea! I’d love to join in. It’s difficult for me to find people to practice with since I’m not very social or self motivated.

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ll start to begin the list of people interested.

1 Like

Great! I understand the difficulty especially when trying to use a new language.

I’ll add you to the list of participants.

1 Like

I would definitely like to join.

1 Like

Sounds good! I’ll add you to the list

Does this mean you want to join in for this group?

No.

1 Like

I would like to join. I’m really shy about speaking unless it’s with strangers or near-strangers so… hopefully by the time I get to know you all, I’ll be more confident. ;-;

2 Likes

I’ll join too. My fear is speaking, so I’m willing to try.

1 Like

Sounds good! Hoping you will build the confidence overtime as well. I’ll add you in.

Awesome! Let’s help one another get over that fear. I’ll add you in group.

I’l try with this, not very confident with my skills, but won’t know till you try.

1 Like