Can anyone here read 古文?

Just wondering. Maybe some of you level 60s can… Or might need to know about kanji before the Toyo kanji

Highly doubt it. The average native has a hard time with it and the average level 60 is still very far from that level. Unless they really were into history, like syphus, and studied it a decent amount, you’ll have a hard time finding someone who is comfortable reading it.

Probably just the Chinese people then…Totally not generalising

Those damn chinese…

2 Likes

It is funny because I can kind of read Chinese because of Japanese or at least understand what they are saying. Welp, one day… 古文, right after A.I.

As far as I know, @syphus 先輩 can…

Really? There is hope then.

It’s こぶん. :slightly_smiling_face:

22 Likes

:thinking:

I’m so confused

I think I am confused too now… And I created the thread :upside_down_face:

I’m attempting to derive humour by deliberatey reading OP’s question as not 古文 as a noun, but rather as kanji.

I think I missed. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It is more along the lines of I registered what you said literally at first, and said humour flew past me.

He’s the one person I would expect (if anyone), but I’m still surprised. Japanese people start learning how to read it in 3rd grade apparently and can even take it all the way through high school. If its not even easy for them, I wonder how good syphus is at it.

1 Like

It looks like it is using completely different grammar than what we are using today… I even found some that used all Kanji even for the particles

I actually have a 古文 class at uni bc my university requires certain foreign languages to be taught in both the modern and the classical variants, right form the start.The professors think it’s too early for us as well, but they’re hoping it’ll somehow help us with modern Japanse… Anyway, I can’t read it yet, maybe after I graduate I’ll be able to understand it a little bit…

1 Like

Wait, they actually require it? I wonder what they make you do. It isn’t the simplest topic after all…

First semester we were not good enough at modern Japanese yet, so they taught us some history, how 古文 got gradually replaced by 口語 etc. I only had my first real class of the second semester two days ago, but now they’re giving us sentences or haiku in 古文 with only one grammatical thing we don’t know yet and teach us more and more grammatics like that (I can’t imagine how hard it must’ve been to find all those pieces of text at just the right level…). I think it’s actually quite a good system though.

3 Likes

Wow! I am jealous because I am going to have to do it the old fashioned way… LOTS and LOTS of reading and researching until my brain figures it out :upside_down_face::joy:

Good luck with that :wink: If there’s no one else, you can always ask me for help in the hope I have learned that particular thing yet X]