Can a 14 year old take the JLPT N5?

Hi! I would like to stop drifting in my Japanese language journey, so I have decided to take the N5 test, but I wondered whether there is an age restriction to taking it.

I would also like to know how many hours of study should I put towards it, and what level on Wani Kani would get me to proficiency in the kanji required for JLPT N5.

Thank you!

Oliver

6 Likes

There is no age restriction for the JLPT. As for the amount of time (left column is mainly for Chinese speakers, right column is for speakers of any other language without knowledge of Chinese characters),

You can consult the kanji chart at wkstats to see what JLPT kanji are taught per level. I do feel that level 16 is completely overkill for N5 though.

13 Likes

If I remember correctly, I think I’ve seen families go to take it together (in Japan), so I can’t imagine you’d have any issues.

I say in Japan since that’s the most likely place where you’d have a whole family studying Japanese but I’m sure it happens overseas too

3 Likes

thank you!!!

4 Likes

Keep in mind they’re charging a fee now, so that’d be the only thing to think about :slight_smile:

Best wishes my friend :smiley:

6 Likes

I think by level 9 or 10 you only lack one N5 kanji, which shows up in level 16. At level 11 I lack one N5 kanji, and have learned 80% of N4 and 28% of N3. That could be used as an indicator as well :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’ve seen kids take the N5 when I took the N5 so I’m guessing it’s cool. You might need your parents permission and payment, but otherwise theres nothing else stopping you.

5 Likes

I’ve seen a 9 year old half Japanese girl go in to take the N4 test when I went in to do it (in the same room as each other), there was no issues at all. Her mother was waiting outside for her and was chatting to some other Japanese woman who also had a half Japanese child taking the test - I didn’t see her child so not sure how old but I believe any age is fine, you’ll be fine!

5 Likes

thanks so much!!

1 Like

Having taken the N5, I would say that the Kanji is probably the least of your concerns though. Yes, there is a section that tests your Kanji knowledge, but in general, for all of the readings, they give you generous furigana.

All I’m saying is, in your hours of study, be sure to devote plenty of time to listening (there are some N5 practice videos on youtube) and speeding up your reading comprehension. And when I say reading comprehension, I don’t mean Kanji recognition (which is what wankikani helps with) but rather understanding the grammar and meaning of the sentences. There will be a grammar section and it will feel a bit intentionally tricky.

Quite honestly, I’m most glad I did a lot of listening practice more than anything else.

Good luck!!! I’m plan to go for the N4 this year.

6 Likes

Yeah, I believe the only missing kanji is 書 (which I think should be at a much lower level anyway, but that’s besides the point).

1 Like

do you know how much it is?

I don’t know if they mean the normal cost or if there’s something else, but it cost 60 bucks when I did it back in 2018.

It’s $100 this year. Everything you need to know is here. https://www.aatj.org/jlpt-us