BU$TAFELLOWS 💰 Prologue and Chapter 1 : リンボ (Visual Novel Book Club)

Enjoying the game so far, its definitely going to take me a while to get through with the level Im at (the prolouge alone took me over an hour with how many words I needed to look up) but Im glad to have a way of getting more reading practice.

9 Likes

I seem to be able to advance the text normally with the A button, I have a Switch lite not a regular one so I don’t know if that changes anything.

For the people playing on PC, I remembered a blog post I saw a long time ago because it had a funny title, linking it here in case anyone finds it useful (I didn’t read thoroughly as I’m not playing on PC):

About the game, I’m a bit past the 2nd choice in chapter 1 and having fun so far. The are a looot of very specific words but the voice acting really helps with the lookups. The vibe of the game so far seems right up my alley, lawyers, time travelling and (murder) mystery? Sign me up. Hope I’ll have time to keep reading later.

9 Likes

I also seem to be able to advance with A and I’m playing in a regular switch.

I’ve also been really enjoying the story so far even if there’s a lot of look-ups.

8 Likes

@Sylph and @Rinibunny413 Weird. I’ll see if it was just a weird bug and it works next time I start it.

3 Likes

I’ve started on Switch, and controls seem pretty standard/straightforward to me (advancing text, opening the text log, triggering auto mode, etc)

4 Likes

Does the Switch port have a control summary in the help submenu of the in-game menu the way the Android version does?

3 Likes
A few story thoughts so far -- potential spoilers up to the 4th choice point

So I didn’t really read the summary of the VN in the home thread, I just watched the trailer. The going-back-in-time stuff therefore caught me completely by surprise :sweat_smile:

Why on earth when the woman who’s been arrested for murder talks about some secret gang and hands us a mysterious note, do we think “oh, this doesn’t seem like it’s going to lead to a scoop at all” ??

I liked the early conversation with our childhood friend. I wonder how this rental agreement/flat move is going to turn into a plot point?

Does anybody really pre-order coffee for somebody else unasked? Still, it let the game express the personalities of a couple of the characters through their coffee preferences :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah the voice acting’s been really helpful, especially with being able to replay the lines.

8 Likes

Oops, I was not prepared for having only 30s to answer a choice!
Finding my phone, opening the WK app, finding the thread, finding the first post, finding the correct choice, figure out what the Japanese is in English… yep, that definitely took more than 30 seconds :joy:

8 Likes

I’m past all the choices but the chapter is still going! It’s been a lot of fun so far!

Really enjoying the voice acting and all the characters so far are either likeable or intriguing or both. Looking forward to see where this goes next.

7 Likes

Is there a guide on which choice to choose, so as not to stray away from Limbo?

3 Likes

In the OP under the reading headline. I guess it isn’t very prominent. I’ll fix that when I’m not on mobile.

4 Likes

I definitely had to make use of the log option to skip back up before the choice a few times!

Also (for those that have played the section with the third choice) when limbo asks you what membership card he has in his wallet, is that something that you just always get wrong? I tried every option and they all were incorrect so wondering if maybe you are meant to just let the choice time out or something :thinking: or it’s just a trick question (edit - went back and checked the guides and you do let the timer run out, woops. Guess I will go back and replay from there!)

9 Likes

I hope it (choices) are easier to see/find now. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes, that was a funny one I thought, that not answering was also an option, and here the best one :slight_smile: I got it from the translation of ※時間切れ which is in the first post

7 Likes

I had actually seen that but for some reason my brain made a massive nonsensical leap and had decided that it must be a choice to do with her travelling back in time power and it totally didn’t occur to me that it would be letting the time run out on a normal choice :sweat_smile: Just one of those cases of me taking 1 + 1 and coming up with 15

8 Likes

I finished chapter one! Now how do I stop myself from playing more……

Initial thoughts -

Whats the deal with Alex? I’m guessing we will get more about him later but seems very random that there’s just this smart kid hanging out.

I enjoyed the running gag about the landlady that just says あれ、あれあれ etc and the reactions of Limbo and Shuu to that

I think so far my fave of the characters are Limbo and Scarecrow. Limbo just has generally fun dialogue with everyone, and Scarecrow is pretty adorable in how flustered he gets/how much everyone makes fun of him.
Just now for me Shuu and Moz are just kind of ‘meh’ - I like them fine but they haven’t been as fun as the others so far. Expect that may well change as we find out more about them!
I don’t like Helvetica at the moment….he seems like a creep. MCs friends all seem nice as well!

7 Likes

Was it long enough that dividing it across 2 weeks was justified? I’m not gonna change it this late into week 1, but I’m curious. (I’ve personally been unable to read more since I finished the prologue. But hope to change that in the next couple of days.)

3 Likes

Curious to know that too :slight_smile:
I’m reading the English version here, so it’s much faster than you guys with the Japanese one, and not yet done with chapter 1. I will report when I am, but so far the pace works great for me!

6 Likes

Hmm, I can’t really see a way to get my play time so far (if someone knows how let me know!) and I didn’t log my times. I’d say that it probably took similar time commitment to advanced book club pace but felt a lot easier/fun.

I played it for 4 evenings, around an hour play sessions I’d say, maybe a bit longer sometimes but no mammoth sessions. I had the auto play function on for most of it with like medium-low speed settings (mainly because I just adopted 2 cats including a high energy kitten so it was helpful to not have to press to continue so I could play with her while I played it :joy:). Found that generally fine for the voiced dialogue but had to switch auto play off for some of the unvoiced MC thought sections as I couldn’t read fast enough.

For me, it felt like a doable amount for a week but mileage may vary depending on things like familiarity with crime vocab etc etc. I didn’t find myself doing all that many lookups (though certainly did some) but I’ve read quite a lot of mystery novels which probably helps.

(I’m also super behind in my other book clubs so don’t mind the 2 week pace)

7 Likes