Burnt items?

So, I haven’t reached the point at which I would start burning stuff (just getting my first few into ‘Enlightened’), but I’m slightly concerned about the whole idea. I don’t want to not be able to review the kanji that I burn. Is there anyway to continue reviewing burnt items?

I just don’t want to forget them. And yes, I know that the whole idea is that you’ve already reviewed them enough for them to enter you memory permanently, however I would like to be certain.

Any replies on the matter would be much appreciated; thanks!

2 Likes
  1. Install self study review script. Review whatever you would like whenever.
  2. Read stuff.
4 Likes

I’d actually call it semi-permanent. If you don’t start reading even burned items will fade.

What I would do is not worry about it unless you come across a burned item while reading that you don’t remember. I would then unburn it and let it run through the SRS again.

4 Likes

Link [Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

1 Like

You can do that manually? I didn’t know that. (I still haven’t burnt anything :slightly_smiling_face:).

1 Like

Yup. Just go to the item page and scroll to the bottom. There will be an option to resurrect that item.

There’s no easy way to unburn a large number at once but I find that a targeted approach works much better.

That’s ok, it can be scary to have the training wheels come off like that. :smiley: But don’t worry, long term recall of burned items is really good with WK.

1 Like

Okay, thanks! Would you say that this targeted approach is better than just going through WaniKani again after finishing?

1 Like

I’ll let you know once I get there. :wink:

But yes, I’m actually planning on unburning any items I don’t remember while reading after I hit level 60 since I haven’t unburned anything up until this point.

I don’t know if I’ll ever reset completely after finishing but who knows how I’ll feel in another year. :smiley:

2 Likes

Tbh, I see words and kanji all the time that I burned a long time ago but have forgotten through lack of use (looking them up again does jog my memory though at least).

Personally I don’t like the idea of resurrecting anything I’ve burned until after I’ve completed all 60 levels; I think there’s a real risk of getting bogged down in old content that will slow down getting to 60. My time would also be better spent on finishing N2 grammar, for example.

After I’ve completed WaniKani I’m thinking of resurrecting just the kanji again a second time, then after that any words causing trouble. There’s a few hundred N1 kanji not taught here either, which need time dedicated to them as well.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’ve been doing, and is an approach I recommend too. I’ve been on lvl 60 for almost a year, and so far I’ve come across 10 words or kanji while reading manga/books that I forgot or for other reasons wanted to resurrect. Not saying that I remembered all the other words I’ve burned with their meaning and readings, just saying that I wanted to put these items back in the SRS. (蜂 doesn’t count because I burned it as ‘honey’ instead of ‘bee’.)

For those who are interested, the kind @prouleau provided the instruction for how I could get a list of my resurrected items after I lost count of them:

5 Likes

Also, part of the post-burning memorisation process is to actually put it into practice. Start reading native material. The kanji you come across on a regular basis will be reinforced.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.