Bravefoot’s Study Journal

Got my first set of vocabulary lessons, and… Nothing really stuck :rofl::rofl: Up until then, I was doing pretty good with just single kanji, and I thought everything was going amazingly well…

In retrospect, I had just woken up when I did those lessons, and my brain was still half-asleep, so that might have contributed to the problem… :skull:

Note to future self: DO NOT do lessons first thing when you wake up!!

8 Likes

Passed onto Level 2 :tada:

…Then saw I had 46 new lessons straightaway :skull:

8 Likes

It gets worse… but you don’t have to do them all immediately. You may want to set a target Apprentice count and not do lessons while it’s above that number…

2 Likes

Yes, I only did some, and left the rest to do them over the course of the day :blush:

2 Likes

Cool. Just remember that you can spread it out over several days without even breaking speed - remember only the radicals are needed to unlock the second half kanji. You can spread out the vocab lessons (as long as you actually do them, of course)

Of course, at level 2, you should be fine doing it all in one day, but this is more for the future when you have a higher amount of reviews and lessons. :wink:

3 Likes

Ahhh, woke up to outstanding 60 reviews! The joys of Japanese lessons :relieved:
Let’s get on with this, then :muscle:t2:

3 Likes

I wish I had that few. :crying_cat_face:

Keep on going! 頑張って

2 Likes

Don’t scare me like that :scream::joy:

Random question, but what does that number under everyone’s profile picture signify? At first I thought it showed your Wanikani level, but I still have a “1” even after I levelled up…

Does the forum have user levels? :eyes::face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

It is your WaniKani level; the problem is, Discourse often fails to update it in time.
If you want it to update, you have to log out and log in again. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ohhh, ok, thank you very much! I’ll do it now :running_woman:t2:

1 Like

Note to future self:

Careful when memorising those mnemonics. They’re working a bit too well sometimes. Just today I wrote ‘Godzilla’ as the meaning for the 午 kanji because of that little story…

Better count to ten before entering the answers next time :no_mouth:

8 Likes

Did you know if you type three dashes in a row on its own line, you get a horizontal line, like this?

Also, here’s your shout for not updating on October 3rd and 6th.

3 Likes

Nope, but now I know :eyes:

Ugh! I swear I’ll change it to update the log every week… Every 3 days is too often, most of the time nothing happens :grimacing:

5 Likes

I can’t remember the amount of times I’ve been confused between 午, 生 and 牛

They shall be the death of me :weary:

3 Likes

えええぇ

I had completely forgotten about this… I’ll try harder to remember to come back and update this for the sake of future me :sweat_smile:

Also…

whimpers<

3 Likes

Ok, I think I have dragged this long enough…

Time to actually learn katakana. I better return here on Monday knowing those like the back of my hand :triumph:

2 Likes

Joining you here! I’m just two days in so everything is SLOOOOOOW but I’m looking forward to getting cooking here soon.

I’ll be back Monday to yell at you about katakana (I’ve been learning Japanese for a long time outside WK so I don’t share that goal, but good luck!). Keep us updated!

2 Likes

Ohhh, welcome!

And I’m looking forward to you yelling at me… I better be hearing you in real life :triumph::joy:

2 Likes

Ganbare Kouhai kun :grin: :metal:

tenor135

2 Likes

「ガンバッテ」、ね。 :wink:

3 Likes