Brain Dysfunction

When I keep getting similar kanji wrong (which is often, I guess I have eye dysfunction :eyeglasses: :wink: ) I write them out on paper side by side. It really helps me notice their differences (and it gives me a tiny bit of writing practice). I use Jisho.org for looking up the stroke order :+1:

2 Likes

Adding to the advice of installing ignore script, you should also install “confusion guesser” script. It helps to see what did you mix your answer with.

1 Like

I have [Userscript]: Double-Check (Version 2.x) on desktop and the “ignore typos” setting on the Tsurukame iOS app for times when my fingers type something different to what my brain says.
I usually “say” the readings in my head, so it’s easy to see if it was just a stupid typo because of my clumsy fingers…if my brain “said” it wrong then I leave it wrong and get annoyed at myself :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! I got tsurukame for my iPhone. I saw it on the app store before but thought it was some rip-off version of wanikani.

I’m always harsh on myself :joy: I’ll never be good enough in my eyes :woman_shrugging:

You laugh but that certainly doesn’t sound funny…it doesn’t have to be like that

3 Likes

Aww you’re actually so sweet! I’m fine, genuinely. I’ve been like this my whole life and will be forever more! I’m used to it and, honestly, it’s an aspect about myself that I like because it motivates me to be a better version of myself. But thank you for the concern!

A bit off topic, but how does your dyslexia affect kanji/kana? I’m curious if/how it changes things when you’re not using an (incredibly messed up) alphabet.

1 Like

I have a type of dyslexia that affects writing more than reading, and it certainly affects Japanese much less! It helps that they actually write it how they say it (Looking at you English! :rofl: )
Somehow my native language, Norwegian, is affected 10 times worse than English, cause we spell close to how we speak, but rarely exact, making it hard to memorize! D=
You gain an instinct to when a word “looks wrong”, but no I lack that shit! That and jumbling letters to a small degree.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Do you ever do reviews with a flick kana board on your phone? Won’t help with your English problem, but might mitigate mistakes on the Japanese end. On the keyboard I have installed now, it can automatically switch between kana/handwriting and romaji input.

4 Likes

Oh I can’t do reviews on my phone. I need to do them on my computer. Both cause of bigger (I can read normally on phone, but reviews I want HUGE :wink: ) but just hate typing on phone. I am 10 times worse at typing ANYTHING on the phone =P

3 Likes

I have the same problem but lugging around a computer sometimes isn’t an option so I have to do it on my phone instead…

1 Like

Funnily enough, I find the flick keyboard on my phone way more natural for kana input. It just feels much easier to directly link the sound I want to the action required to produce it. If I try and do reviews on my desktop I keep fumbling the kana input.

On the other hand typing English on a phone does suck.

2 Likes

There is a (unsupported) script that won’t allow you submit answer with okurigana mismatch:

2 Likes

It’s legit. I’ve been using it for over a year now. The developers are on here: https://community.wanikani.com/t/ios-tsurukame-native-app-with-offline-lessons-and-reviews/30635/641

They’ve done a pretty good job in keeping it up to date with the WK changes.

Honestly, on phone keyboards is the one place a redo script is unequivocally required IMO.

2 Likes

I do that, too, and it really helps. I look and see where the differences are, and seldom miss it again.

1 Like

Yeah, actually just yesterday I found myself confused between 雪, 雲, and 電. So I compared them to each other to see the difference in radicals. Then I went over the mnemonics given by WaniKani and re-established their meaning.

3 Likes

It’s a third-party app made by users that want a better mobile interface. If you have any suggestions, just drop by the official forum thread! :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.