Blacklist "Forceful" for 勢い

いじわらないで!

:rofl:

1 Like

I wrote a bit unreflected in the beginning. Quite a nonsense so to say. That’s because I never thought of what ikioi would be translated to in German or English because I hear it mostly as ikioiyoku in spoken Japanese. And that would be like forceful. Often when I read books I don’t translate words to German and it seems 勢い is one of them.

Maybe the only thing of value for me in my own comment is that I realized that it is not totally relevant for me to have an exact English translation for a Japanese noun or adverb or whatever because often the translation has a slightly different nuance anyway.

(Isn’t forceful an adjective?)

1 Like

I don’t think its forceful though is what I’m saying. Its a bit off. Forcefully is more like 力強く. 勢いよく is just like with much 勢い.

Yeah but 勢いよく is an adverb right? So if you were to call it forceful (which again I wouldn’t) it would have to be forcefully, right?

Just as some examples:

早坂さんは勢いよく首を縦にふる

This is more like vigorously nodding with a lot of energy. Forcefully nodding isn’t a thing I think.

さっきまで勢いよくいろんなことを説明していたマサムネは、〝オオカミさま〟に自分の説を否定されたことで、急に小さくなってしまったように見えた。

This is also more like with great energy. Like he explained stuff very energetically and with momentum like bam bam bam. Saying he forcefully explained something makes it sound assertive which isn’t the case.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. My comment was, like I said, not really something with a lot of meaning but it was born out of a recent realization, that SRS has its limitations for learning a language especially Japanese.

Eg like you said it is not like forcefull or better forcefully, 勢い is translated in wanikani as force. In my understanding that is not exactly the nuance of it like your explanation proofs so in my current understanding it is not necessary to be too specific with the translation because it is a crutch anyway.

Example from the Kanken:
色彩 and 彩色. There is not really a way to translate these to capture the nuance, in a SRS that becomes maybe something like “colouring” for both.

Ok, yeah I think I get what you mean now. I agree translations aren’t really important anyways because theres basically never one good one anyways.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.