Big numbers

Guess we’re not enlightened enough to get it :man_shrugging:

see towards bottom of that page:
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/language/largenumber.html

also look who i found:

4 Likes

He just can’t help but Leebo’ing people even outside the forums.

4 Likes

You mean, the entire bottom half of the page? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya think? :stuck_out_tongue:

I dare someone to use any of those in day-to-day conversation. 1080 is already puny next to the sixth number in the sequence, and there’s a hundred and twenty-four of them.

Still, it’s kinda terrifying that even with that ridiculous index, the full number is still peanuts to the size of a googolplex, which itself is peanuts to the size of some numbers that have actually been used in mathemtatical proofs - like Graham’s number, which is so large it can’t even be written in the form of a^b^c^d^… without occupying the entire volume of the universe with numbers.

2 Likes

不可説不可説転ぶどうはたくさんのぶどうだ。

1 Like

Just a bit. If every atom in the universe turned into a grape, you’d still only have 1080 of them.

How many atoms are in a grape? How many times would you need to repeat that before you had 不可説不可説転 grapes?

1 Like

I think at least 14

If you were to turn each atom in the universe into a universe, and then keep doing that, you would need to do that 4.652298e+34 times to get to {10^{3721838388197764444130659768784964812}} atoms.

So that would be about 四百六十五溝二百二十九穣八百𥝱(よんひゃくろくじゅうごごうにひゃくにじゅうきゅうじょうはっぴゃくじょ)

3 Likes

Heh. That was probably a better way of going about it. For the “all grapes all the time” method, according to Wolfram Alpha, the average mass of a grape is 3.7g. If we assume grapes are made entirely of water, that’s 3.7*1023 atoms (by some coincidence, water is almost exactly 1023 atoms per gram), so I worked up an equation to calculate how many times I’d have to repeat that… and Wolfram Alpha couldn’t find an solution. Probably exceeded some kind of register.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it just be multiplying it by 10^23 until you get to the bigg bigg number?

3.7*1023, but yeah. Wolfram just goes “… dunno”

1 Like

How about you take the exponent of the bigg number, subtract 80 from it, and then divide it by 27.5682.

Pah. I’ve got Wolfram Alpha to do all these intermediate processing steps for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, that’s giving me 1.579 × 1036. Just a little bigger than 14.

1 Like

Soooo close

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.