Beyond Sleepy’s (pillow fort?) study log

Yay. Updates from sleepy. Times are good!!

4 Likes

Another day another couple of pages. The read every day challenge sure is motivating :seedling::tulip::herb:

よつばと!vol1, cha4, pp136-137 🍀

——— 136 ———

じゃあこっちおいで

Well then, please follow me (come this way)

あ、す、すみません!

Ah- I- I’m sorry! (for her behavior)

これです

This is it

これならジャンボ一人で

If it’s this one Jumbo alone is sufficient for the task (awkward phrasing by me, but with this one I wanted to stick close to what I think the JP grammar is doing)

二人で一緒に持とうな

Two people are needed, well carry it together, capeesh? (な:p)

なんかバランス悪くないか⁉︎

Our balance is bad isn’t it!?

大丈夫、大丈夫

It’s fine, it’s fine

——— 137 ———

でか‼︎

Huge!!

みんな…

Everyone…

よつばちゃんの知り合いの人、テレビ持っていってもらうの

It’s Yotsuba’s acquaintance, they’re here to get the (old) TV

うちの姉のあさぎです

This is the household’s older sister Asagi

こんにちわ

Hello

こちらわジャンボさん

This is Jumbo

武田 隆です

I’m Takeda Takashi.

すごくマツーね…

Very normal huh…

——— End ———

Confused by まま

The word まま is explained as “as it is (moment in time)” in the 1k Anki deck I’m using and the example sentence doesn’t (to my eyes) seem to clarify what is meant by that “思ったことをそのまま口に出してしまった.” I guess そのまま means “at that moment” here but what’s up with this “as it is” meaning?

Jisho has these definitions

as (it is); remaining (in a state); keeping (the same); leaving (unchanged)​

which together seem to make sense, but what does this have to do with the “moment in time” meaning? Are they the same vocab or are they homonyms?

まま?

4 Likes

Regarding mama. I’m not sure what ‘the moment in time’ is alluding to either.
The meaning is to leave as is. Maybe they wanted to specify that it means to leave as is starting from a specific moment in time?

It means more something along those lines of ‘My thoughts as they were (without modifying them for the occasion/politeness. Not putting it through the Tatemae filter) I blurted out’

4 Likes

Recommended watching:

Quoting from the video:

She says we need to first find out what kind of word is it. It doesn’t end in an う sound, so it’s not a verb. It doesn’t end in い, so it’s not an adjective. That means it’s likely a noun, which it is.

I’d say she’s doing a good job of making it sound simple.

As an example, she says:

Another example:

She goes on to explain that まま is kind of special in that you can drop the で after it. (You don’t have to worry about such details right now if they don’t make sense yet!)

As for the Anki 1K deck sentence, I think it’s essentially saying that it was at that unchanged condition (そのまま) when they had the thought they they said it out loud. Looked at this way, we can see why そのまま may translate as “at that moment” or “immediately”.

I recommend watching the subtitled CureDolly video, and it’s all right if it doesn’t all sink in just yet. Seeing まま in action will help make it more understandable, and I believe Cure Dolly’s video (even just reading the parts I quote above) will help make that easier.

You’ll see まま later in volume one of Yotsuba (as そのまま), but then you might not see it again in the series until volume 4.

4 Likes

@downtimes @ChristopherFritz Thank you both :pray:

I’ll watch that Cure Dolly vid:)

You just remember that? :flushed::exploding_head:

1 Like

I wish I could!

(Or maybe not, because I would have too much unnecessary stuff in my memory…)

I use an interesting but slightly complex process to convert manga to searchable text (thanks to tools others have written). With about 99% accuracy, it’s useful for searching for text to see where it appears in manga.

For example, まま gives me the following results:

• Volume 1: one time
  • Volume 4: four times
  • Volume 7: two times
  • Volume 8: two times
  • Volume 9: one time
  • Volume 10: two times (we get このまま and そのまま in this one)
  • Volume 12: three times
  • Volume 14: one time
3 Likes

:four_leaf_clover::slightly_smiling_face::four_leaf_clover:

よつばと!vol1, cha4, pp138-139 🍀

——— 138 ———

そんなにおおきと服探すの大変そうですねー

It seems like it must be difficult looking for clothes as big as yours

いえ!俺は裸でも大丈夫ですから!

No! Because it’s okay even if I’m naked!

それじゃあ、テレビの回収ありがとうございました

Well then, thank you for collecting the TV

はい!お元気で!

Yes! Be well!

い、いかん!緊張してしまった!俺、なんか変な事言ったか⁉︎

Oh oh no! I fucked up due to nervousness! I said something weird didn’t I!?

安心しろ、いつもと変わんねぇよ

Calm down, you acted as usual

——— 139 ———

どーしたー?

What’s wrong?

あ!いいな!いや、よつば今すっげぇ美女がいた!

Ah! Er Yotsuba, right now there was a really beautiful woman!

びみょ?

(Mispronunciation, could mean “questionable”)

美女じゃねぇ!美女だ!

It’s “beautiful”! Beautiful!

びじょ…えっと…

Beautiful… um…

ふーかといっしょか?ふーかはなんだっけ?

Is Fuuka also (beautiful)? What is Fuuka?

ん?………少女だな

N? ………A young woman

あれ⁉︎「美」は⁉︎

Wha!? What about “beautiful”!?

では、もらっていきます

Well, (for) receiving (the TV)

ありがとう美少女風香ちゃん

Thank you beautiful young woman Fuuka

——— End ———

I’ve made a list of the kana only words haunting me in Anki. A lot of these I would get as part of a sentence but alone and out of context my brain just blanks on them…

Difficult kana words in Anki

つもり - intention

ほど - degree, extent

はず - should be, must be

こいつ - this (informal)

そんな - such (actions, ideas), like that, that sort of

より - than

そう - appearing that, seeming that

もらう - to receive

なる - to become

もう - now, soon, already, yet

くらい - approximately

しまう - to complete, to finish

せい - reason, cause

あれ - that (distant)

ちゃんと - sufficient, properly

まだ/また - not yet/again

かなり - considerably (I always think “particularly” which isn’t quite the same, but I also don’t know if the distinction translates to the Japanese word)

こちら - this (direction)

まるで - entirely, completely

こう - in this way, such

おかしい - strange, unusual (I’m prone to mix up any -しい without kanji)

どうせ - in any case, at any rate

どの - which

きっと - surely, most likely

せめて - at least

ただ - simply, merely

These are out of about 770 words currently in circulation so it’s not that bad on the whole, but it’s over half of the kana only words and my accuracy for young words in general is over 80% and for mature words is 90%, but for these it’s rather abysmal (though I don’t have a statistic ready). I’ve posted them here for the perusal of the curious and mainly so that I have a convenient place to do some extra study (with the spoiler feature).

extra study :books:

2 Likes

I know time isn’t really on your side right now, but I’d say a large amount of those are essentially considered grammar points by most sources, and that’s often the context I learned them in. If you have the opportunity sometime, it may help to try to learn a little more about them in that context? The good news is when you can do more reading, they’re the kind of things you’ll see everywhere until there’s no way you won’t know them.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get that. The Anki deck is a 1K frequency based one so everything should get reinforced pretty quickly once I have more time for immersion. That’ll be in June tho🥲

I guess until then I’ll look into reading up on these in the context of them being grammar points, thanks for the tip :blush::+1:

1 Like

Oh by the way, if this clears it up at all, this seems to basically refer to a certain extent. Like a Japanese dictionary I have on Yomichan right now says “非常にというほどではないが,普通の程度を大分超えているさま” which is roughly “not to an extreme extent, but significantly more than ordinary/usual/etc.” Which particularly… can mean, depending on which way you are using it.

2 Likes

That does clear it up.

This does basically support “particularly” if the deviation from the ordinary is being emphasized, which is I feel it is with “particularly” but not quite as much with “considerably.” “Enough to be considered” vs. “enough to be considered particular.” If that makes sense. But my takeaway from your dictionary quote is that I should be satisfied with “particularly” if I’m still stuck on that word after this conversation, and let any loss of nuance sort itself out through immersion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah I totally agree with that. On those sorts of meanings I like to play fairly loose and assume it’ll get more and more intuitive over time. If I got the general concept, pass (I’m fairly strict on readings but that’s not relevant to this word).

…I’ll get back to you in several years to let you know if I was right!

1 Like

I don’t worry too much about readings in Anki at the moment as I have Wanikani for that. If I get the meaning but can’t remember the correct reading then I pass the item since for most of them I’ll both get a lot of exposure through media and Wanikani will introduce and reinforce the readings of the kanji eventually.

My experience with English says that in the contexts of the genres you consume you’ll develop better and better intuition for a lot of words, but going from only input to interacting in a language will force you to refine your understanding of a lot of words you thought you already had a good understanding of :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Mmhmm, that’s valid. We’re coming from different angles on that whole process since I’m mining my own words now and only grabbing words I’ve already learned the kanji for or with kanji WK never teaches at all, so in my cause it’s either a form of further review of those readings applied to new words, honing in on a bunch of different readings than I was taught, or learning new stuff altogether. I agree it’s not worth you focusing on until a later time.

Yeah that makes sense. This is my first time learning a foreign language and while I think I’m making a pretty good go at it, a lot of it is still rather overwhelming and hazy. And output is hard enough work and not something I care as much about as the understanding side so I’m kicking that to the far future. Hoping by that point I can do what some others have talked about and be largely at a stage where I can self correct, but we’ll see. Despite what I have learned, there are so many areas where I can still understand next to nothing so… one step at a time.

3 Likes

:four_leaf_clover::cherry_blossom::four_leaf_clover:

よつばと!vol1, cha4, pp140-142 🍀

——— 140 ———

あ、えなだ!えなー

Ah, it’s Ena! Eeena

こんにちは…

Hi…

でか‼︎

Huge!!

——— 141 ———

あ、す、すみませんおおきいですね…

A e excuse me, you’re big

がおーっ

GAOO!!!

だいじょーぶだ!ジャンボはこわくないぞ!

It’s alright! Jumbo isn’t scary!

ごめんよー

I’m sorry

ばかやろう

You idiot

——— 142 ———

お母さん!お母さーん!

Mom! Moom!

い、今ね!玄関にすっごくおっきな…!!

R right now! At the entrance a really big…

あ、恵那も見た?

Ah, you saw (him) too Ena?

ジャンボさん|武田さん|きりんさん

Jumbo|Takeda|Giraffe

なによきりんって

Hey why did you say giraffe

先祖がきりんなんだって

Because he said his ancestors were giraffes

でも、がおーって言ってた

But, he said gaoo

がおー?

Gaoo?

——— end ———

\huge{がおー!}

5 Likes

I really thought spring had come early this year as we had as much as 14°C a few weeks ago and it stayed warm for a while, but… I went for a long walk today suspecting no mischief when the weather suddenly turned and

⛄️❄️🌨❄️⛄️

well, I got rather cold and tired :yawning_face: so one page was all I had the energy for. I’m going to bed early today, with a good conscience, having done the bare minimum of studying Japanese. I just want to avoid getting a cold from this :upside_down_face:

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp144 🍀

——— 144 ———

よつばー、はやくしろーおいてくぞー

Yotsuba! Hurry up (or) I’ll leave you behind

こんにちはー

Hello

あ、美少女の風香ちゃん

Ah, the beautiful young woman Fuuka

それやめて下さい

Please stop that

これ昨日渡すの忘れてました

I forgot to give you this yesterday

ん、ああ、テレビのリモコン

Huh? Ah, the tv’s remote

ありがとう美…

Thank you beau…

おまたせた

I’ve kept you waiting

——— End ———

5 Likes

The snowbeard picture is gold :joy:

4 Likes

Stay safe out there!

Imgur

4 Likes

Another one pager, I guess doing literally nothing besides studying (uni + Japanese) every day is a tad exhausting :confused: But I’m not really willing to make compromises in either direction so here I am :sweat_smile:

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp145 🍀

——— 145 ———

ちょっと置いてくる

One moment, (I have to) put (this inside)

よつばちゃんおでかけ?

Are you going somewhere Yotsuba?

おかいもの‼︎

Shopping!!

そこにおっきーおみせがあるってとーちゃんがいった、あぱーと!

Over there there’s a huge store, dad said, an apartment store!

でぱーとね

It’s “department store” you know?

とーちゃんはやくしろー、おいてくぞー

Dad hurry up or I’ll leave you behind

しゅっぱーつ!

Let’s go!

よつば、そっちじゃないこっちだ

Yotsuba, it’s not over there, it’s this way

——— end ———

6 Likes

So, I’m not going at a great pace in terms of mass immersion. The thing is, reading (よつばと) doesn’t take much energy (comparatively), it’s transcribing and translating that does. If I don’t care about the nuances of meaning I can read and get the gist at a decent enough clip. However, the translation process forces me to pay attention to grammar and nuance which I think is helpful for learning the language. Conclusion: I should read something else in parallel without putting undue effort into grammar and vocab lookups. I’m considering Satori Reader but I’ll take any suggestions:)

よつばと!vol1, cha5, pp146-148 🍀

——— 146 ———

とーちゃんちゃんとみちしってるか?

Dad, are you sure you know the way (do you have sufficient knowledge of the route - Yotsuba😛)

んーたぶんこっちだ

Yeah, it’s probably this way

とーちゃんまいごになるぞ、なくなよ

Dad, I’ll become a lost child, I’ll cry

ならねーよ泣かねーし

You won’t become (lost), and you won’t cry either

とーちゃん超強いからな

Because dad is super strong!

わん

Woof

うひゃあ

Uhyaa!

——— 147 ———

びびったぜー

I was startled

わるいいぬだ‼︎

It’s a bad dog!!

戦わなくていい

It’s best not to fight (the dog)

かいだん

Stairs

Yes

——— 148 ———

上は神社だな

There’s a shrine up top.

じんじゃ⁉︎

A shrine!?

まつりか⁉︎

Festival!?

そーそーお店の出る所だ

That’s right, shops appear there (when there’s a festival :sweat_smile:)

ああ‼︎今日はない‼︎祭りない‼︎

Ah!! Not today!! There’s no festival!!

祭りの時は行こうな

Let’s go when there is a festival

うん!

Yes!

たべものやさん

A restaurant

ハラへってのか?

Are you hungry?

んーもうちょっとへってないかな

Hmm, I wonder if I’m not a little hungry? (へってない, not decreased? What’s going on here, I’m very doubtful of my translation:p)

——— End ———

4 Likes