Best Thing to Try and Read

I don’t think that’s a thing, really. Almost every author uses casual language and their personal style of vocab / grammar (even children‘s books might use N1 grammar points, which is a struggle for language learners). Some authors even make up their own words to use in their fantasy books.
However, you might find less typos in published books than in pixiv comics/ narou LN’s. One other thing where the publisher might have an impact is furigana (is there furigana on non-joyo kanji? how much furigana is there?), but this can vary wildly even for „properly published“ books depending on the author. Some authors just like to show off with their use of obscure kanji.

4 Likes

Off the top of my head, I think the creator I’m looking at on Pixiv sometimes uses furigana, sometimes doesn’t.

They also sometimes use typed text and other times use handwritten text in their comics. You can imagine which is easier to read, lol. But I guess that’s why we have font randomizers.

1 Like

The publisher trick that drives me nuts is when they have some moderately hard-to-read word, and they print it without furigana three times and then put furigana on the fourth time the word crops up. I have no idea what logic could lie behind that…

1 Like

I can understand putting furigana on the first time the word pops up and then not doing it again afterwards, but the other way around?
???

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: What kind of Pikmin fan comics?

The ones made by this creator: なる - WishField - pixiv

Ok, I read a few pages of a comic, and it’s not particularly hard.

However, it’s basically made for native speakers, which means no furigana at all, apparently, since there were some kanji that I don’t think I’ve seen before, probably because of context.

The main character also uses でし instead of です, and I think adds it at the end of sentences that usually wouldn’t have it, like a speech tic or whatever. Not that it’s hard to figure that out.

Other than that, it’s maybe like N4 level?

3 Likes

It being made for natives is no surprise considering that it’s on a Japanese website, so I already had that in mind. No furigana will make looking up unfamiliar words harder, but Jisho has a handy feature where you can search for kanji by radicals, which I’ve used before.

Other than that, the idea that it’s not super hard grammatically is nice news.

Little deviations from “standard” grammar like that are things I know I’m probably going to run into at some point. I just hope I can figure them out as I go along.

1 Like

Usually authors are nice enough to include furigana for some stuff. :sweat_smile:

Maybe try starting with an ABBC manga and go up from there?

@MidnightSkies38 This isn’t really relevant to the topic at hand, but I’m happy to see another beginner learner who’s trying to get into reading! Since I’m still new to grammar I have trouble recognizing things that are set phrases. Entering chunks of a sentence (or the entire sentence, if it’s short enough) into the dictionary before looking at the entries has been really helping me identify them, so that can be something to consider.

3 Likes

なる has included furigana in at least some of their works (like this one here: pikmin, Olimar / 【ピクミン】いい夫婦3 / November 22nd, 2014 - pixiv) but I think it’s overall uncommon for them. Regardless, I’m prepared to get around the lack of it.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the term “ABBC” manga.

1 Like

I think I’ve done this before. Before I really got into studying verb transformations, I would sometimes plug what looked like the form of a verb into Jisho and it usually could tell me what it was.

1 Like

My bad.

1 Like

honestly this is what worked best for me!
i tried reading stuff that was just above my reading level for reading practice, but for whatever reason they just weren’t catching my attention, so i ended up dropping off my reading practice altogether. then i started reading witch hat atelier and fell in love, so i tried reading it in jpn! it has a Ton of words i didn’t know and almost no furigana, but i would write down all the words i didn’t know, look them up, and made a google spreadsheet with everything in it!

i’m only 5 chapters into reading it in jpn, and there’s already 350+ unique words that i didn’t know/kanji i couldn’t read, but i don’t really expect to remember most of them right now as they’re not the most useful words to know :sweat_smile:
but it’s still great reading practice! i can still test my grammar and comprehension skills, even if i have to reference back to my spreadsheet often. and i don’t have to worry about motivation bc i love what i’m reading!

2 Likes

Oh, and I’m just curious, which comic did you skim over?

1 Like

Some people just want to get stuck into reading a manga since grammar is very, very boring for a lot of people.

Take myself as an example, I have finally almost finished Human Japanese “Intermediate.” The 2 HJ’s combined will have taken me approx 9 months!!..I did do it almost every day, but because the content was so boring to me, I guess i couldn’t maintain a massive amount of pages each day.

So I can see why some people will just want to dive in and give it a go.

I think this might be one of those “your mileage may vary” points. I can see just diving into a manga as both an opportunity for satisfaction in seeing what you do comprehend and an opportunity to see new things so that you’re motivated to absorb them (“oh, this is in native material, it must be worth learning”)

But on the other hand, it might not go that well. You instead might just focus on and be frustrated by your inability to understand a lot of what you’re reading and feel discouraged. I think it largely depends on the person.

I’ve found my grammar studies to be interesting so far thanks to Cure Dolly sensei, so I’m not feeling suffocated and dying to switch over to something else.

3 Likes

Somehow, listening to those longer/confusing sentences makes understanding clearer, especially for textbooks. Nonetheless, I absolutely advise against Speech Synthesis / TTS.

I stepped up from Graded Reader Lv 0 => 3.

IMO, it might be about making sense of a little grammar; but also knowing a whole lot of vocabularies.

Let me try and sum up the general sentiment:

• Build a solid foundation Complete a solid basic grammar text book, get to level 10-30 in Wanikani. @d-hermit
  • Focus Turn off the cell phone, shut the door, and eliminate other distractions. Me :slight_smile:
  • Find something that engages you If it is boring, that’s no fun, and if it is too hard then that won’t help you learn either. You can’t know if you’ll be successful unless you try it out so give anything that interests you a chance. @Gorbit99
  • Experience matters Don’t give up reading if at first you don’t succeed, it is a skill that you build up with time. Read what you can not what you wish you could. Eventually you will be able to read what you want to. @d-hermit
  • Write down the things you learn Look for things that are valuable to know generally and keep a list. This helps you improve faster by looking for lessons and helping you to remember what you learned. @yookilaylee
  • Try the Audiobook Sometimes hearing the sentence makes understanding easier. @polv

Let me know if I missed anything.

Wow… this thread got way more attention than I expected. It also got way more Pikmin than expected. XD

9 Likes

This one, it was actually kind of fun.