Best Manga for beginners

Hey all,

I’m looking at picking up my reading skills and I’m thinking manga might be a good place to start. Anyone got suggestions for manga that’s easy follow?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Yotsuba&! - Wikipedia!

Imo, its not even a competition. Unless you don’t enjoy it, that is; always make sure to read stuff you enjoy.

5 Likes

Anything short, like slice-of-life, comedy or 4-koma should be fine.

Too bad よつばと! isn’t available in digital format…

I am reading 魁!!クロマティ高校 (Cromartie High School), and every Kanji has furigana on it. And it has e-book format.

1 Like

They have been scanned if thats what you are referring to. If you are using an ereader you should be able to upload pdf, no?

edit: cant link illegul stuff

Yes, but I also mean legal copy, on eBookJapan or on Kindle.

ah

:x im a bad boy.

3 Likes

You might want to delete that link. Violates the rules of this board.

2 Likes

edited. my b

If you’re up for a challenge and want to try reading something without furigana, aim for the josei or younger-leaning seinen age-bracket. There are kanji, but as you get into the teen levels of Wanikani, many will be ones you know, and more unusual vocabulary still comes with furigana attached. Words you don’t know, you can use a dictionary for (maybe even using a radical search to grab a few new kanji).

Bizarre horror isn’t everyone’s tastes, but I’ve enjoyed slowly making my way through a Junji Ito collection in Japanese. His stuff frequently ran in josei magazines, and tends to be pretty textbook, grammatically.

So far I’ve read his and Akira Toriyama’s (of Dragon Ball fame) one-shots in Japanese. It’s nice to be able to jump in for a one-and-done story within 20-40 pages, You get to come out feeling accomplished and there isn’t too much to keep track of; the focus is just on getting through that particular short story in a foreign language.

Here are some beginners’ manga that I’ve read and enjoyed and hope you will too! ヾ(〃^∇^)ノ♪

Cute

• しろくまカフェ
  • チーズスイートホーム
  • Sweets Penguin – 甘党ペンギン*
  • ドラえもん

Slice of life

• ニセコイ*
  • マンガ家さんとアシスタントさんと

Fantasy

• 犬夜叉*
  • クレヨンしんちゃん

(w/o furigana)

• あずまんが大王 (4-コマ)
  • ドクター スランプ
  • タマさん (4-コマ)
  • YAWARA!*
  • ヒカルの碁*
  • 聖☆おにいさん

* personal favorites

7 Likes

I’ve heard Detective Conan is an easy one, and giving it a few glances myself, I’d definitely agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my coworkers lent me her copy of Sazae-san, a bi-lingual comic strip. She used it to learn English, I’m using it to learn Japanese. It may be up your alley!

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll have to check out the nearest kinokuniya and see if they have them in stock.

I tried reading Attack on Titan and I think I bit off more than I could chew :stuck_out_tongue: so the suggestions are great.

1 Like

I’d give a second (or third?) to よつばと as well. You can always check amazon.co.jp and see if it’s worth buying these directly. Shipping can be be pretty cheap sometimes especially since you’re only paying $5 per book in a lot of cases.

Crayon Shinchan

Seconded!

Also, I don’t know why yotsuba& gets such a good rep, but I like azumangadayo (from the same author) a lot better.

I would also recommend イカ娘, which is pretty damn hilarious (for me at least) and really easy to understand. (I feel like a lot of times you could still get the point without any text at all)

1 Like

You can downoad samples from a lot of manga from Amazon.co.jp.

Worth noting that よつばと! isn’t available on Kindle or eBookJapan; and being available in e-book format (legally) is a very important consideration for me.

Only if I can get an e-book that I would join in the Beginner book club.

I am reading ラブライブ!School Idol Diary. ゆるゆり is another good choice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.