Been on Level 3 for 14 days lol

Really need to get on top of those intervals, any suggestions?

4 Likes

Not quite sure what you’re asking. I think it’s pretty good advice to do all the reviews at least once a day. But if the problem is failing apprentice items, sometimes waiting a whole day to do the “4 hour” review is the problem - that might be too long to refresh the brand-new items.

If that’s the case, maybe figuring out where in a typical day you can get TWO sessions in, 4 hours apart. Then only do lessons in the first one, the other one reviews only.

3 Likes

it might also help if I set certain times instead of spreading them all out all over the place

1 Like

just cuz it’s putting a lot of review intervals in the AMs

1 Like

but yeah generally looking to speed up a little bit on wani, cuz my pace is hilariously slow

1 Like

Eh, it’s not a problem to do them whenever, as long as you do have a time to finish them off. I do a few whenever I have a minute, standing in line somewhere, etc. as a bonus, but “clear the stack” at least once a day at about the same time every day. It does tend to scatter the official “next review” times throughout the day, but that’s not really a problem for guru+ ones. A few hours late isn’t really that much. But for the apprentice ones it might be better to stick as close to the due time as possible. Being 24 hours late on a 4-hour review is significantly longer than it’s supposed to be.

It’s about 10 days/level for me. That’s “not always” doing the apprentice reviews more than once a day, but I get more strict about the exact times if my failure rate starts to get bad.

1 Like

Yeah I’m feeling like for the sake of apprentice items I should try and get some sort of consistency, especially so that my time to level up isn’t over 2 weeks this early on, lol

2 Likes

I’ll take a break to stack up all my reviews so that I can get the interval to refresh at a specific time

1 Like

latest review is at 7pm, so might do them all at 7pm, then do more again at 11pm

1 Like

It also helps some people (me, for one) to not binge reviews as soon as they’re unlocked. Ration them 15 or 20 lessons/day. You’ll know those better, fail less, and it really doesn’t add more than a couple of days to a level (hence the 10, not the theoretically-fastest 7)

1 Like

yeah, honestly I really do want to go a bit faster, at this rate cuz I still have some at apprentice 1, it could still take a few more days worst case to guru everything and move on. and I’m already at 14 days, if I extrapolated out that pace for the whole 60 levels that would take so much longer than usual

2 Likes

17 days per level actually would only be just under 3 years, but still

1 Like

Ok that’s a legit goal, and some people do it.

One guy’s opinion, but I don’t think you need to get to 60. We were just talking about it in another thread, but a lot of people start to feel like they don’t need wanikani any more once they start reading with enough comprehension to learn things naturally. That happens at different points for everyone, but commonly around 25-30 wanikani starts becoming more of a “completeness” challenge, just to finish.

Obviously if wanikani is all you’re going to do, then you’d want to do as much as possible, as fast as possible. But you’re definitely ready to fly out into the great beyond before 60, if you do concentrate on making each level good and not speeding through it to check the box.

Just some un-asked-for advice. :smiley: Other people would be better at “how to go fast” advice so I’ll leave it to the experts on that.

4 Likes

I mean I don’t particularly see any reason in the future why I’d need to stop using it, I already do immersion as it is

I average about 14 days a level (although I didn’t for the first four or so). So, don’t worry too much about speed for now!

I do lessons and reviews at 9am, then reviews again at 1pm and again at 9pm. If I miss one of those slots I fit it in when I can, but I try and keep stuff stuck to then. It helps keep the lessons relatively spread out rather than having HUGE spikes. Keeping your review times consistent also helps keep the habit going!

5 Likes

For sure, there’s no reason to stop if you’re still finding it useful. The SRS is quite a lot of work for diminishing returns. Another option might be to page through the items and wanikani’s mnemonics (which I think is where the true value is) at your own pace instead of strictly doing wanikani’s SRS. In any case, you can’t really predict that now; you’ll have to play it by ear.

Mechanically multiplying level rate by number of levels might tell you how long to 60, but isn’t necessarily a good measure for how long to “be done with (needing/wanting) wanikani”. There’s certainly nothing wrong with wanting to go fast. I’m just saying don’t be discouraged or tricked into rushing at this early stage by “it’s going to take how long?”

1 Like

There’s another way to do this.
In the scenario in the screen shot all the lessons are spaced overnight and by the time you wake up at lets say 9 there will be 23 things waiting for you. Maybe you’d prefer to do them each hour in their smaller batches. Just wait until midnight then turn vacation mode on. Turn it off at 8am the next morning and the lessons will then come at 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 5pm. The ones that were the next day will also shift forward though and the next night might not be better. But if you are ever going to wake up to 200 reviews it’s a good way to prevent that.

I can see why you’re going slowly - your review schedule lasts for the entire day. :sweat_smile:
Now, the SRS review system isn’t supposed to work like this, so this could mean a few things:

1. You don’t do all your reviews at once (this takes priority over accuracy - if you don’t do all your reviews at once, you won’t have a schedule, and your learning will be a lot less focused)
  2. You get a lot of them wrong and they stray out of your review schedule (what’s your accuracy on radicals/kanji/vocab)
    For the first problem, as noted on https://knowledge.wanikani.com/wanikani/srs-stages/, the timing intervals are:
    Apprentice 1 → 4 hours → Apprentice 2
    Apprentice 2 → 8 hours → Apprentice 3
    Apprentice 3 → 1 day → Apprentice 4
    Apprentice 4 → 2 days → Guru 1
    Guru 1 → 1 week → Guru 2
    Guru 2 → 2 weeks → Master
    Master → 1 month → Enlightened
    Enlightened → 4 months → Burned

Generally, it’s recommended that you get up and do WK first thing in the morning - if you do your lessons at 8AM, your first review batch hits at 12PM and your second hits at 8PM (and then every review of those lessons happens at 8PM until you burn them). You don’t have to follow this - you can simply do reviews later - but you do have to do the bulk of your WK reviews at a specific time.

Now for the second possible problem - you have 6 recent kanji mistakes at 14 days in. You’re definitely supposed to know all of the kanji fairly well by 14 days in. This in itself could refer back to problem 2 - you might just be reviewing too slowly and not fully learning the kanji, but it probably also means that you aren’t fully taking in the readings/meanings of said kanji.
If you have trouble with a kanji, I recommend actively trying to fix it - if you routinely confuse it with another, make a mnemonic out of the slight difference between the two. If you forget the reading/meaning often, write down a reasoning for why it might be read that way/mean that thing (it can be ridiculous - just writing it down helps you remember).
Good luck with your WK travels and see you at level 60!

2 Likes

I definitely recommend making your own mnemonics as well. Not for everything, of course, but if you keep failing the kanji reading and forgetting the mnemonic, then that’s the way to go. Also, taking a step further, if when you do your lesson you’re already struggling to visualize the mnemonic and forget it, then you might as well just take a minute or two to make a new mnemonic now. It’ll prevent you from missing a lot of reviews in the future. (Plus, I’ve also found that those couple words and kanji where I was struggling with the mnemonic and reading are the ones that I fail on guru1->guru2.) And if you immediately think of a better mnemonic for you when you do the lesson, then you can just follow that instead.

Also, have you realized that the intervals are twice as long compared to Lvl1-2? For example it took me 4-5 days to complete each of those, so double that, and you get 8-10 days, which is what I’m on track to do for level 3. So depending on how long it took you for the previous levels, you might just be maintaining that speed.

2 Likes

hehe… problem is my sleep schedule is in constant flux, never been able to have a consistent sleep schedule for longer than a month for years at this point despite attempts, being able to consistently be awake in the morning for the sake of wanikani might not be a thing I can do, not sure.

2 Likes