Baby book recommendations

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any Japanese baby books. I am a new mother and feel it would be really nice to practice my Japanese reading and speaking skills while bonding with my baby. If he picks up some Japanese then that is a bonus! Books involving ducks, chicks or other birds would be extra appreciated. I am in the UK and was planning on buying books via Amazon jp or some other retailer which makes shipping here easy. Thanks.

3 Likes

The current hit is だるまさんが:
dsg

Tried classic is いないいないばあ:
nn

(no birds, sorry)

4 Likes

Anorher nice idea, is finding your own childhood classics in Japanese. Eric Carle is bound to have translations. I also saw The Giving Tree in a Japanese household (in Japanese, of course)

2 Likes

First of all, congratulations on your baby! I have two children and a good collection of Japanese board books for kids. I get most of my board books from Japanese moms, or a used books store with an foreign language section. You might be able to go on ebay or something to get a mixed lot to save money.

Japanese kids books are a lot of fun, and you can find a lot of familiar titles like Spot the Dog or the Very Hungry Catepillar that have been translated in Japanese or bilingual editions!

Just one warning, when I did a search on Amazon.co.jp a lot of the board books were in English language for Japanese parents to read English to their children! Be careful and double check before you buy :sweat_smile: Have fun reading to your little guy. Have a great day!

This one is our favorite:

Peek-a-boo Animals Dōbutsu iroiro kakurenbo

3 Likes

Baby Book, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Baby Book :eyes: :books:

Sorry.

Now that I think about it, how about songs for babies in Japanese? :slight_smile:

3 Likes
3 Likes

yessss!! Thanks for Baby Shark in Japanese, I never thought to look for that :shark:

3 Likes

The whole channel is full of children’s songs in Japanese. It’s pretty darn cute! :smile:

1 Like

My credit. :eyes: jk unless…

1 Like

I unfortunately dont know any baby books but congratulations on the baby!

1 Like

Oh god no, I thought this song had already passed through the meme/media cycle. I was sorely mistaken, and now I’m gonna have it stuck in my head for like a week. T_T

2 Likes

Baby「whatever」is a good way to bring it back.

If you want to practice a bunch of onomatopoeia, there’s this book from this illustrator I really like called あ、きこえたよ

It’s a very sound oriented experience, and I think there are some baby birds that come up at some point ^^

4 Likes