At what level have you seen every kanji in Wanikani?

I was wondering at what level have you seen every kanji? Is it level 60, or do you see them all before that, and you hit level 60 once the rest are mastered. I just hit level 2 and I have 60 apprentice and 43 Guru’d, so that means I’ve seen 100 already out of the 2000 already?

Level 60.

4 Likes

Kanji and vocab aren’t the same thing. :slight_smile:

WK teaches about 2.000 kanji and about 6.000 vocab that uses those kanji. So you’ll learn the last of the WK kanji at level 60.

5 Likes

Ahh I gotcha, thank you

1 Like

6,000 vocab words impresses me. I only really hear of Wanikani as being great for Kanji but if it teaches you 6,000 words, then it must be great for vocab as well?

4 Likes

It’s pretty great for vocab, yes.

It’s just that the vocab works to reinforce the kanji, and they don’t teach any kanji-less vocab. :slight_smile:

Also, the vocab is not needed to progress, so you could technically not learn any of it and still get to level 60. (Which you can’t do with kanji.)

1 Like

It does teach you a lot of vocab but like Kazzeon mentioned, you’ll be missing a lot of words that are kana only. I highly recommend Torii for vocabulary. There’s both an app as well as a PC version that you can sync up. It’s free, too!

It works in a similar way as WaniKani does: Learn lessons, and then review them until you master them. It’ll teach you the core 10,000 vocabulary words you’ll need to get to fluency, and you have the option to organize the lessons by JLPT level.

4 Likes

Also, kanji vocab are skewed on average toward being more formal, literary, or antiquated. So WaniKani teaches a lot of words that will sound a bit stiff in every day conversation, but you may see them in books, newspapers, etc.

WaniKani doesn’t focus on teaching you how to use the words either. For instance, it will tell go that ご覧になる means “to look” but they actually give the wrong info about its classification. They say it is the humble way to say look. This is wrong, and I only just now noticed they did that. This is an honorific expression, only used for the actions of others, not yourself. Humble expressions are for your own actions.

I should email them about it. It’s one word that’s wrong, but still wrong.

9 Likes

What website would you recommend to learn what’s not on WK?

1 Like

I personally use various books to learn how to how to use words, such as thesauruses and vocab-focused books.

For websites, iKnow is more vocab-focused than WK. But I haven’t personally used it.

1 Like

That looks super interesting, thanks for sharing. I’ll give it a go starting tomorrow. Any recommendations on doing the 10k, wanikani mode, or kana mode?

1 Like

It depends on what your goals are. I personally am using Torii to both review as well as learn new vocabulary, so I’m doing all 10k mode, including wanikani and katakana words. Of course you can exclude the WaniKani words if they feel like too much (and besides you’ll be reviewing them on WaniKani, anyway!) you can always uncheck them from the core 10,000.

If you ever come across any words you already know/don’t want to review in Torii, I believe you have the option to add them to the ignore list whenever you feel like it.

It is bad that I thought this was a troll name for the poll thread that happened to leave “POLL” out of the title?

4 Likes

Is there an option like “Remove all WK words”?

WK mode might be best then. From the creator, in the Torii thread:

1 Like

iKnow has a course that they call “Japanese Core 6000” which is supposed to be the most common 6000 words. What I like about it is that they have high quality audio recordings for all words, recorded by native speakers that use a very standard Japanese intonation/pronunciation (unlike some words on WK, but I understand there’s gonna be an overhaul soon). What’s also great is that they provide example sentences for every word, complete with recorded audio, and a rough translation, so you can see and hear the words as they’re used in natural Japanese. You can also set it up to teach you the words in romaji, kana-only, or kana+kanji modes, which is flexible. I have it in full-Japanese mode because I already know a lot of kanji, but if I were just starting, I’d probably find the kana-only mode much less intimidating.

Unlike other options of learning vocab, it is a paid subscription service, so if you’re strapped for cash, maybe some of the other options are better for you :man_shrugging::woman_shrugging: They do have frequent sales, and you get a free trial when you sign up, so maybe you can get lucky with a reduced subscription price like I did.

3 Likes

I’ll have a look thank you. Does it have a sort of Wanikani approach to learning vocab? Or is it more like anki (which I find kind of boring) I’m currently just started Genki 2 and am looking for ways to increase my vocabulary as I work along side that as well. I’m trying to come up with a good schedule/method that will help me increase my ability faster, and more thoroughly. I feel like with Wanikani, a vocab learning thiung (torii or this iknow) and genki would be a good mix

PS, I’m looking at Iknow now, and am interested in doing the 6k couse. Do I have to go sequentially from 1k to 2k to 3k etc? Or can I start at 6k and it contains all of them? the 6k only seems to have 1000 sentences?

It’s more like anki, it presents the words, and the context sentence, and then it’s up to you how you commit it to memory, it won’t hold your hand like wanikani does (nor explain the grammar in the sentences either). Technically it’s separated into 6 parts, for each 1000, and then that’s further separated into 10 parts each, each 100. Every word will have at least one context sentence, some have more, and some context sentences are shared because they use more than 1 vocab.

You could start from the beginning with the 1000 course, or you could start liberally from wherever you want actually (but each part is only 1000 words), or you can take a placement test, which will quiz you and then determine if it can “skip” you to the more advanced levels.

You can click on any of those to see how many words and sentences it will contain

I see, I’ll have a look. Thanks for the suggestion

1 Like