At What Level Did You Nearly Quit?

for jitai, I completely removed the lazy handwriting ones. I was making a lot of mistakes.
I think now I have only 5 fonts installed.

My reaction to every Armed Banana character:

1 Like

For me, I am on level 5, but ended up stopping for two weeks at level 4 when it really started piling up. Back at it.

2 Likes

Oh, dozens of times thru the pandemic. I mean, seriously – was keeping up with dailies thru the Death and Hell levels truly worth it, when you’re working 2-3 jobs in healthcare / essential work, the vaccine a year-away pipe dream? Of course not. People are going to drop off and we can’t proselytise to them.

Summary

I was lucky enough (barely) not to have succumbed to the big grownup talk myself, about whether I should have 1500 in queue and concentrate on getting proper sleep… or drive thru (w/o apps, towards a sub-365-day-lvl-60, to save me $200 – speaking of pipe dreams :skull_and_crossbones:)…

After failing in the 1-yr goal… that’s when drive to summit dissolved and experience of how much I’d actually learned, drove better behaviors towards the material. It’s 2,136 kanji, guys – even studious Japanese HS graduates take 12 yrs to know them all, with the language constantly surrounding them to reinforce recall, under test conditions. Don’t deify those who go thru fastest – but those who can navigate say Tokyo’s printed jungle because of WK, confident. Those are graduates I can respect :+1:

I do feel however, that WK does pressure the user a bit much, as punishments for errors, thus not advancing as fast as the site demands… is still too severe to encourage the best recall. Once I stopped adhering to WK’s review schedule recall miraculously got better, imagine that :wink:

But, that’s why the app community is so healthy for WK I suppose… my attempt pretty much proving it’s impossible to even try for a summit anniversary, w/o them.

2 Likes

From about level 18 on but I thought hey, I learn Japanese for almost 3,5 years now and I can’t quit cause I have to learn Kanji XD
I am using WaniKani for a little over than a year and I think, I will be done next year or the year after BUT I WILL BE DONE at one point and I motivate myself to keep going and that what comes after will be way better :joy:

4 Likes

Going through the 20s now, I would highly recommend slowing down once you start seeing the burn items. It hurts to get items that should be burned wrong, but ultimately the goal is to learn the Japanese, not reach level 60.

Also, don’t recommend quitting caffeine cold turkey and expecting to keep up with your reviews :persevere:

6 Likes

When I found WaniKani I was a bit confused. I remember even writing the support team, that I’m not sure how the site works, because there is nothing left to learn at the moment.

After getting an intro into SRS I used it every day for something like 3 months. And normally, if you do something for 90 days, it becomes a habit, right?

Well around Christmas I missed a day, for the first time and then never came back. Defiantly I even bought the lifetime subscription during the Christmas sale to get me back through the pocket book, but no dice.

1063 reviews had piled up. I have not learned anything from Level 9.

But I started again last week and am down to 575. I burned almost 300 items. And it looks like I’ll be moving to Japan in a year. So it’s now or never!

6 Likes

After 181 days. Finally level 10 :tada:

6 Likes

Well done.

1 Like

I did the exact same thing. Used WK for about 3 months, stopped for 6 months, and then bought lifetime in Dec 2019 as an incentive to restart and still didn’t start again until Feb 2020 where I now have 400+ straight days of reviews (I’m slow).

When did I last contemplate quitting? Yesterday. And the day before that and the day before that. Actually for about 400 straight days.

3 Likes

Just about every other month :sweat_smile:

Recently went on vacation mode for a month to focus on changing careers. I’m back, but I’m only focusing on reviews until I settle things with my career and have time to learn more.

1 Like

I’m close to it. I have so much stuff going on in my life and in my head (yeay, depression).
But I missed a lesson-day, so now I’m focussing on doing reviews. i have over 250 in apprentice, so i want to get it down before I level up (which is, normally, tomorrow), so that’s mission impossible.
But most of it is vocab, and some of the vocabs are just easier

2 Likes

I try to keep Apprentice below 100. And since I’m not fast enough with getting the vocabs done, I’m contemplating getting some Kanji wrong on purpose, to level up slower.

I get a lot of retention out of the vocabs, so leaving them to accumulate in the lessons doesn’t seem like a good idea.

I reset once, stopped another time, but played catch up, and took my time through the middle as I had other things going on, but just sprinted at the end. 60 feels very far away until you hit mid 40s.

1 Like

Level 1.

1 Like

if you use the default ordering of lessons, WK will always give you lessons from previous levels before the lessons from the current level. if you’re doing WK on the browser, you need to install a script to change that, so just don’t use the script. if you’re using WK with an app, some (all?) of the phone apps have setting to do current-level lessons first - change that to doing lower level lessons first.

either way, you don’t have to get reviews wrong on purpose.

1 Like

I just finished a couple of Kanji and now I get their vocabs before the ones I still had open. I also disabled all the user scripts I have and it didn’t change the ordering.

Maybe it is different with the new Kanji and Radicals, but I think I’ll make sure and get to 0 lessons first, before I level up.

I did feel like quitting at levels 1, 2, 3, then levels 4 through 8, and then level 10, and also, 9.

Level 11 was not great, and level 12 has a very quittable face.

Level 28 - they call these levels Death for a reason…

This was actually what my review queue looked like in July 2020, after not doing any in June:

My reviews never recovered, despite some efforts in July-September to do something, and sporadic reviews in the months after. It’s hard to be motivated when you have thousands of reviews…

On June 10, 2021, I performed a reset to level 22.

Then, yesterday, June 24, 2021, I broke my reviews-in-a-day record, and sent 525 reviews to their Death, getting a 60/0. You can see my Friday morning screenshots of the aftermath:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.