At what level am I considered "intermediate" (or even beginner)?

I’ve seen a lot of posts for activities for intermediate level Japanese but irdk what that means

(It’s also sad that as a level 10 user I still can barely understand lots of the things in the "Japanese Only (Beginners) threads :joy:)

2 Likes

I’d say
N5-N4: Beginner
N3-N2: Intermediate
N1+: Advanced

4 Likes

N5: Beginner
N4: Expert Beginner (:laughing:)
N3: Lower Intermediate
N2: Intermediate
N1: Lower Advanced

20 Likes

I’d even concede N1 as Expert Intermediate

11 Likes

Hmmm that means I’m below beginner :upside_down_face: long way to go

5 Likes

We all start at the bottom. Just keep going and enjoy yourself

17 Likes

Me too. Feeling your pain!

1 Like

こんにちは: Beginner
いただきます: Intermediate
お前はもう死んでいる: Advanced

45 Likes

何!?: Native

25 Likes

16 Likes

Technically don’t we start at the top?? :thinking:
N5… N1
:hushed:

11 Likes

You’re right. It is a descent into madness

13 Likes

Japanese Drake when reaching JLPT N1

4 Likes

Even Japanese children start at the bottom!

4 Likes

You can be level 60 and a beginner in Japanese if you are not careful.

13 Likes

I can officially say I’m at expert at something.

At being a beginner, apparently.

7 Likes

Yay! Looks like I’m expert beginner as well. Sounds nice :smiley:

1 Like

Guess you didn’t read the article. :joy:

7 Likes

Many people have different ideas for what stage of learning is what level. One thing I’ve realized is that the more I learn, the more I realize I have to learn. For this reason, I feel like people with a lower level themselves will naturally overestimate their own ability and others, since they really don’t know what all they have left to learn. Furthermore, different people have different goals, so some people put advanced/expert at near native level, and some people put it at being able to read a light novel. I’ve had no trouble reading any Japanese book ive tried reading as of recently, but all of them are really just standard books meant for high schoolers and stuff (このすば、かがみの孤城、月光、re:ゼロ, and 12 volumes of 俺修羅). So to me, this is like the end of intermediate.

Id say advanced starts at around 15k words known, grasp of most if not all grammar up to and including N1, and where you can start getting into more specialized vocab. Plus having your speaking and listening up to/close to that same level.

For beginner…I’m not too sure since people do all sorts of different things at the start of their studies. To me, if you cant pass the N4 then I’d say you’re a beginner, though.

13 Likes

Yeah, guilty as charged. I just liked the level name - after all, I just said that it sounds nice :wink:

Reading it changes the image completely :open_mouth:
撤回!撤回!

3 Likes