Are there any 2 kanji that look exactly the same?

Thanks! Now I know why in Haikyuu, several times people were trying to read Karasuno High School name as “Torino”. We just need a great anime for every similar kanji pair.

12 Likes

Napthalene basically answered it. They used to be differentiated (芸 「げい」 used to have a much more complex form that got shortened for ease of writing, while 芸 「うん」 has always been written that way).

I checked a few dictionaries and some of them will have both meanings listed under the same character because they’re written the same and look exactly the same, but in other kanji dictionaries, they’ll be separated as different things because their meanings and readings are completely different.

2 Likes

I think I need to get the override script, but I have definitely been having the same issues like you

Presumably, one could confused 丹 with 舟 if you’re not paying attention to all the details.

幸 and 辛 also sometimes trip me up, it’s just one stroke difference.

恋 and 変 if you’re not looking close enough, but these are clearly different if you pay attention.

1 Like

I hate japanese…

I hate English…

4 Likes

I hate ancient nordic summoning runes…

4 Likes

I abhor the loathsome shapes of the script of the Great Old Ones lying in the nightmarish corpse-city of R’lyeh. They drive me crazy :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Do you have a better way of summoning the Crabigator?

Mayonaise and spicy mustard between two Ritz crackers always works for me

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.